Thursday, November 8, 2007

Scope Preparedness

In keeping with my OCD'ness, I am almost ready for Monday. I bought my waterproof bandages today to shower immediately post-op (5 days no shower...does anyone actually do that???), I went grocery shopping (I know I will somehow end up back in the grocery store with my mom at least 3 times next week), got waxed (my new waxer is great, she uses this blue 'sensitive' wax, barely felt a thing) and tomorrow I have an appt for a manicure/pedicure.
Obviously these are all pre-op essentials, especially since all will be bared to the camera!! hahaha!! I was assured that this would not be the case!
I will also 'borrow' ice packs tomorrow from my office as I will not have a gameready this time.

J has been out of town this whole week. He had a brief 'stopover' at home last night but left again this morning. He brought me these really pretty canvas paintings from the Dominican Republic, the only thing is, they need to be framed. I took them to a frame store today and was quotes WAY higher than I could have imagined. They are big, one bigger than the other, and need to be stretched or something....I was quoted $480 for both, this is with the 20% discount (for the coupon I did not have) and if I pay cash. I thought it was a lot, but have no idea as I have never done this before. Any thoughts?

Since J and I don't see eachother very often lately, and we have a lot to discuss (Jk's b-day party, where L will go to school next year.....) we decided on a date for Monday morning at HSS, since there is some downtime during the pre-op processing, we will be discussing these things since we never have a lot of time together! I can't believe we need surgery to get us in the same room for a significant amount of time!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur husband seems to be a great guy!

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

5 days with no shower? Ew! The hospital told me 48 hours - which I obeyed because I didn't really have the energy to shower! But on day 2 I slapped on the waterproof bandages and hopped in. (had to try to scrub off my surgeon's magic marker artwork, which took several showers to get off)

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

About the framing - I know a little about it. Yes, it is ridiculously expensive! I recently tried framing myself and it is a cinch (if you can use a screwdriver you can do it) and a fraction of the cost of getting it done at a framer's. I don't know about framing canvas though - I just framed photos behind plexiglass.

You can buy the framing components online at American Frame. I don't know what your style is, but I like this for metal:

http://www.americanframe.com/catalog/collection.html?col=Metal%20Canvas%20Floater

Or here's an even cheaper metal option:

http://www.americanframe.com/catalog/collection.html?col=Canvas

They also have wood frames, but they're quite a bit more expensive (not sure how these are assembled, but it can't be too hard):

http://www.americanframe.com/catalog/collection.html?col=Wood%20Canvas%20Floater

Sorry to sound like an infomercial!

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

One more thing - are the canvases just loose - not mounted to a wood frame? If so, that is what they mean by stretching it - they will have to pull the canvas taught and staple it to a wood frame (by "wood frame" I mean wood structure that is hidden, not the actual final frame that will be exposed when you hang it on the wall). You might just pay to have the canvas stretched (I would be too afraid to do that myself) and then frame it yourself. Or if you have any friends who are art majors/painters they could stretch it for you.

Was that totally confusing? Sorry! I took a painting class in college, but I don't know if I'm explaining this very clearly. Good luck with whatever you do!

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

And by "taught", I meant "taut". Whoops.