Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Eye Opening Discoveries

I finished my course today, YAY!! It was great! If anyone is a PT reading this, I highly recommend taking any CEU offered by The Institute of Physical Art.
Anyway, today we did psoas and iliacus palpation. I had told the instructor my issue with my hip, and that my surgeon wanted to release my psoas, to which his eyes nearly popped out of his head as he said 'wwwhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy'!
So....he palpated my psoas transabdominally and it HURT, right more than left. He then did a super cool release on it (the release hurt as well). Then, I stood up to walk. "How does it feel", he asked, first step- good, second step- good, third step- holy shit, it just went into spasm and now kills. "ah, see, you need to retrain your patients once you add length to the muscles, they don't know what to do with the extra flexibility". So he did a PNF lower extremity pattern for psoas a few times and then I walked and it felt much better. P and I need to have a discussion about this next week. P should know better, he has gone through many of the IPA's courses, shame on you!!!! J/k!
I think most of my dysfunctions are coming from a dysfunctional psoas, as it has lumbar and thoracic spine attachments. The instructor also said he noticed that my gait is 'limpy', looks like I use my rectus femoris (quad muscle) to walk and and not my psoas.

So that was the last 4 days!! I just had pre-op labwork, surprisingly, no snafu's this time!!! As I got home, Dr. Kelly's office manager called, I saw the caller ID and though, crap, now what??? is it cancelled? did he 'disown' me as a patient? No! She wanted to know if I would consent to having pictures taken in my surgery for some magazine that Dr. Kelly is being featured in, and since I am so nice and such a good patient, she figured I would be ok with it! So now I will have a famous hip!

1 comment:

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Hahaha! A famous hip! Hopefully, they won't publish a picture of your butt instead. ;)