Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Details, Details,Details

I am in bed, took a Percocet about an hour ago. No one else is up in my house yet so there is no point in geting out of bed.
I had to be at HSS at 5:45AM. I had already filled out the majority of the paperwork last week, so I waited. In the meantime, I met the people from the magazine who were doing the photoshoot. They didn't call me in until after 6:30. I had to take a pregnancy test (negative, phew), and put on one of their cool hospital gowns with the heater attachment, and the 'hip scope breakaway' shorts! The camera crew came in to take some pre-op pictures. The PA came to do his mini pre-op physical around 7, 7:15. J was still in the waiting room. I was getting nervous bc in the past, everything has been done by 7, but hey, it wasn't like they were going to start surgery without me, right!
Next came the woman who washes the surgical body part, so she washed my hip. Then J was allowed to come in and we hung out for a bit.

Anesthesia came next. It was not Dr. Jules, the one I had requested. But I remember Dr. Kelly reminding me that all the anesthesiologists are great, so I was ok.He asked if I had had issues with anesthesia in the past. I explained that when I had a spinal with scope #1, it took me a long time to recover, so scope #2 was done with a combined spinal epidural, much better. So he said he would plan on that.
The nurse was next, almost 7:45, we were running out of time. She had to go over my medical history again, then start the IV. She wanted my to lay down, I assured her I wouldn't pass out, but she insisted.

While she was doing her thing, Dr. Kelly showed up to 'sign' my hip. I asked him to please write 'do not release psoas', in case he forgot! He said he would remember, and wanted to know if I was going to have the psoas police in the OR!! He even showed me the consent form, he said 'look, it is not even on here', so I said 'good, bc I don't consent'. I asked if I am his biggest pain in the ass patient, he said not even close, I just know too much. I didn't have a response bc just at that second, the nurse inserted the IV needle which silenced me! He said he was just going to go in and remove scar tissue, adesions and obviously the cam bump. Ok, fine,I could deal with that.

The OR nurse came next.She looked at my hip brace and asked where the rest of it was? Huh, thats all I have. What about the posts and pillow?Huh?? That's all they gave me. So off she went, super annoyed, to find whatever it was that was missing (I still am not sure). she came back to bring me to the OR, 'we are 5 minutes behind' she said. I left J, and we went to the OR. We passed someone who was looking for whatever it is she was missing.He said 'I told Dr. Kelly', to which she got clearly annoyed and said 'don't tell Dr. Kelly'. I assume they found it bc we proceeded into the OR. The camera crew was in there with someone showing them all the scope tools, I was trying to get a glimpse, but they needed to get the anesthesia going. I was laying on the table and the anesthesiologist gave me something to relax me, and asked if I could sit up,I told him I didn't want to feel the needle go in, he told me he would make my skin numb, and then I was out!
Part 2 to follow after coffee!

No comments: