Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Post Op Day 1 Cont.

So you already know that yesterday sucked, but after I posted, things got worse. Let me start at the beginning. After my first surgery, I went to bed at a reasonable hour that night and slept through until the morning, no pain meds throughout the night. I woke up in horrific pain. I was not letting that happen this time. SO...this time I took vicodin at 12 and then at 6, I felt fine nausea-wise. Of course I had to go to PT that day, which in my opinion is barbaric. My PROM was better this time but AROM was not, all active movements hurt, a lot. All I did was (attempt to) ride the bike, that hurt too, at first I couldn't make it all the way around with the pedals, but soon I was able to. My PT then just did some PROM on my hip, everything went well.
Since things were going well, I decided we should go out for lunch. I took a Vicodin on the way there, and then a Zofran during lunch. Just as we were finishing, I felt this all too familiar feeling, and I knew I had to go home, NOW. So I did. I collapsed into my bed, garbage can nearby, but luckily the zofran kicked in, It didn't do a lot for the nausea, but I did not throw up. I ended up falling asleep, on the operated side (note to self- don't do that). I spent the rest of the afternoon in bed.

Later in the day, Dr. Kelly's office called to see how I was doing, we decided to change the painkillers (yet again), this time to percocet. Since no one could go pick it up at that moment, I took an Ultram because the pain was coming back and I was petrified of Vicodin. Ultram took the edge off of the pain and didn't make me sick.

Later that night, I had had enough of feeling "hospital dirty" and wearing the huge bandage on my leg, so even though the post-op instructions say no showering until post-op day 4, I could not wait. I have these waterproof bandages by nexcare, they work great. So off came the bandage, to reveal a mess of a leg underneath. 3 scope sites this time, as opposed to 2 last time, bruising, swelling and.....numbness. Shit, this is not good. When I spoke with Dr. Kelly on Mon. night he asked about numbness, I didn't think I had any, his assistant asked me as well, and I told her no, but now with the bandage off, I can feel it (do you feel numbness? that sounds weird, but I know it is there). What worries me is that it is in the distribution of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, I really really hope it is from the swelling and will go away really soon. Today is a holiday but I plan on calling Dr. Kelly tomorrow about it.

My shower felt refreshing, and before I went to bed, I took a percocet, hopefully percocet and I can become friends and have a nice and pleasurable experience

Oh, my kids did eventually get out of the CPM and let me use it, I like to use it while I am icing, my GameReady is on the floor next to the bed with a hose leading to the attatchment on my hip!

1 comment:

dude0078 said...

If you decide your no longer in need of the percocets please let me know I will buy them from you I just had reight knee replacement and now my insurance ran out. So now I'm in need of pain help