Monday, July 23, 2007

3 Weeks post-op

I went the whole day without crutches, I think I am in the clear, but my SI joint hurts, probably because I still need a crutch, or maybe a cane, but I am so not doing a cane!! If the SI doesn't resolve, I will have P fix it on Thursday, it is not too bad though, I have taught J how to fix it for me in the past! I tend to get awful SI issues at 3 months post-partum, it happenned both times, but I have trained J well!

I had PT today, I almost broke down, but the look on P's face when he saw that I might cry was enough to make me hold back my tears, and boy did I have to fight to hold them back. He had that look that men get when a girl is aout to cry and they really don't know what to do! I am laughing now thinking about it! My office was pretty busy today, so we didn't have a room, so I really didn't want to cry in the gym, so I held back. I finally just came out and said I think my first surgery failed (then fought really hard again to hold back the tears). What??? Are you sure? I thought it was just compensation??? So he looked at it, again, and all of my symptoms were back, my original November symptoms, decreased ROM (I have practically lost all IR), sitting pain, pain with ambulation during the stance phase of gait. So he worked on that side today, TFL, psoas, both super tight. He also did some mulligan belt mobs, to try to increase my ROM, and some anterior hip glides. For the other side, he stretched/ ART'd my psoas and worked on my scope sites. Originally, I had decided to not let anyone work on the scope sites and see what would happen, and compare to the other side since they had been worked on extensively after my first surgery, but they really looked and felt awful today, so I gave in, so my trial is over!

I had to cut back on the single leg stance exercises today bc my operated leg was beginning to get irriated, probably from all the stair climbing this weekend, and lack of crutches. The (sort of) good news is that I am having anterior tightness now, I didn't develop this until much later on last time, so hopefully it is a good sign, that things are progressing quickly. I need to take an "off day" tommorrow and let things calm down in the operated hip a little, it has definetly been abused the past couple of days. I have some pain in it, it is similar to my pre-op/ post-injection pain, it is tolerable!

I added a link today in Learn From My Experience/ Mistakes, it is called Orthopaedic Considerations for Intercourse. It is not made specifically for hips, there are some positions approved for total hip replacements, these are labeled THA. What I think will work best is if you know what positions are painful for you, and use the pictures to help guide you in choosing a position that would work for you, like most things, sex after a hipscope does not come with cookbook instructions. What is helpful are the "tidbits of information" on the bottom about each position. But you may need to trouble shoot in the beginning until you find what works for you. The 7th position works best for us early on. We have been having intercourse since 2 weeks, 2 days post-op, without too much of an issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oo....
...KT