Monday, March 17, 2008

Still Dealing With Crap From Hip Arthroscopy numer's 1 and 2

My wonderful (not being sarcastic) insurance company covered all cost of surgery, hospitalization, anesthesia, rehab (sort of), basically everything associated with the surgery, except the Gameready and CPM, which I was later told by someone in my OS office that these are "luxury items", and "I told you they may not be covered".

Me, being me, initially ignored the bills, which totaled around $700 but were knocked down to $500 for me. After a while, I decided I should stop ignoring them and do something. Again, me being me, I had no idea what to do.Luckily, one of the people in the billing department of my office used to work for one of the companies that rent these same machines, and get this, her job was taking care of denials. So she gave me a huge stack of appeal letters to pick and choose from. I also called Gameready and they sent me literature and journal articles supporting their products. So I wrote a great letter and sent it in, in January.

I then forgot about the letter, until another bill arrived. So I called my insurance and they agreed to "expedite" the claim. Today, I received a letter from them. Excitedly, expecting a check, I opened the letter, which was informing me that they received my letter and will let me know of their decision within 30 days. I can't imagine having to have gone through this for the surgery itself. sigh!

No comments: