Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Back to PT, Back to Working Out

I saw P today since my hip has been tight and my knee is a mess. I am pretty convinced the 2 are related, when the knee pain got bad, the hip started acting up. He did a great job on my hip, working the iliacus/psoas area (painful but it has been much worse), doing some anterior hip mobs and stretching my psoas. Then on to the knee. The meniscus is tender, but so is my MCL and my pes anserine. So...for now, I have been ordered to wear more supportive shoes and if necessary tape my foot before I exercise. I pronate...a lot, and this seems to add to my problems. I had a negative Mcmurray's test, a positive Apley's Compression and a positive "knee scour", the evidence shows that these tests are not all that great though.

I skipped all lower extremity work on the bosu today and focused on my abs. I will know in the morning if it was a good workout if I wake up sore.

I plan on wearing good shoes tomorrow to see if that helps! AHHHHHHHH!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mcmurry's is indicative of the meniscal tear, right? what is the apley and "scour"? indicative of? just curious...i have thought for a few years i have a torn meniscus as well but i have a neg mcmurry. soccermom

Susie said...

They are all indicative of a meniscus tear, but not that reliable on their own, and personally, I feel Mcmurray's is highly dependent on the skill of the clinician performing it. Apley's is done in prone with 90 degrees of knee flexxion and you compress rotate the tibia. Scour has a better name but I cannot think of it, you flex the knee in supine and rotate and compress. Pain is a positive finding. There is a "newer" test called Ege's, you do squat with our feet turned out, pain is + for medial meniscus tear, then with feet turned in, this is for lateral meniscus. Maybe you can have your hip and knee addressed simultaneously!!!

Anonymous said...

i don't mention my knee to anyone...OMG, they already think i am crazy. if i had another ortho problem, they might admit me to the psych ward!
over time, my knee has gotten better as long as i keep my quad strong. if it gets weak (like when i am on crutches...like that never happens :) ), i have a lot pain and weakness.
soccermom

Susie said...

OMG- I know what you mean! I made P check my knee in a room so no one would see! Sometimes I wonder what is really going on....But I know what you mean abt what other's think, it is tough bc we are really dealing with these issues but, sigh!