Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Got Denied

By my insurance company on my second level appeal for the CPM and Gameready :-(
The billing people in my office had told me that if it got denied I could attempt a grievance appeal or something like that.

I thought is was a great letter. I will include it below since I have been asked for copies if it by readers.

To Whom It May Concern:
Please be advised that I have received a bill for a Game Ready TM Vasopneumatic Compression and Cold Therapy device, as well a Continuous Passive Motion Machine (CPM). These 2 pieces of equipment were prescribed to me by Dr. Bryan Kelly, the bill is from Biodynamic Technologies.

I went to see Dr. Kelly for disabling hip pain secondary to a torn labrum, which Dr. Kelly was able to repair via arthroscopy. Dr. Kelly prescribed the equipment mentioned above to maintain and increase range of motion (ROM) as well as to decrease inflammation and decrease pain, and prevent the build-up of scar tissue. At this point in time, there does not exist a CPM primarily for hips, therefore, a knee CPM must be used for all hip surgery. I would imagine that you do not deny charges for CPMs for patients that are status post knee surgery.

The Game Ready is unique because it supplies a combination of continuous cold therapy and intermittent pneumatic compression. RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) is the universally accepted method of treating acute musculoskeletal injury and post-surgical trauma. The Game Ready device combines the two most difficult to manage aspects of the RICE regimen (ice and compression) in one easy to use system.

I am shocked to know that if an in-network physician prescribes a product to a patient, which in turn will help relieve their pain and reduce the possibility of further injury that you, a credible insurance company, would not pay for that product. I was under the impression that anything prescribed by my doctor would be covered. I believe that this decision was made unfairly, and would hope that you will rectify this matter immediately.

I have included a copy of bills from Biodynamic, Information on the Game Ready and a select list of clinical studies on cold and compression.

Respectfully,

Susie


I thought it was a great letter!!! I don't have the "select list of clinical studies" since I forgot to make a copy before mailing the letter. I obtained it by calling Gameready directly and explaining the situation to them. I will keep you posted on the progress!

6 comments:

Jess said...

Susie, the letter is fantastic! What is wrong with these people??

Anonymous said...

Hey Susie..did the CPM really help much? I am curious b/c my insurance didn't cover it either the first time and I don't think I want to pay the $$ the second time. What do you think?
Soccermom

Susie said...

No! That is why I didn't get it the 3rd time around. It ends up sitting in my room, the kids ride it like an amusement park ride and the clutter makes me nervous! I "promised" to ride my bike every day for ROM but in reality, I was in bed for a week due to the med (not so pleasant) side effects! I did great without it!

Susie said...

PS- I have to say for clarification purposes, that the CPM was not offered as an "option". The conversation went something like this: OS:Ok, during the surgery,I will do.....and not relase your psoas. Susie:Ok, you better not, and I am not getting a CPM or gameready this time, I don't really use it anyway and I have a bike. OS: umm,ok (whatever she wants at this point, she is making me crazy with thinking she still has FAI in the hip I already fixed)

Anonymous said...

good...i had already decided not to use it this time. i am also skipping the silly in home PT visit. i didn't have to pay for it, but i have been on crutches enough to know how to do it. you are funny...you talk to those docs like i do! i always walk away thinking they think i am crazy!
soccermom

commercial liability insurance said...

Thanks that you have shared your experience as I was in the same myth. I was thinking that all what my doctor prescribe is covered. I will take care whenever I am into that situation. I am lucky that I have read your experience and learnt so many things from it.