Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pre-op labwork

I know what you are thinking, what can she possibly blog about concerning pre-op labwork. If you are thinking that, I suggest you do a backsearch for my blog entry 'Incompetencies'. I received a packet in the mail with the Rx to get my pre-op labwork done. I have always done it at a local lab, no issue. This time, I will not be around the week before surgery as I have a continuing education course. I was nervous to have the bloodwork done Wed. or Thurs before surgery in case it was not done in time. So I emailed my OS's office manager to schedule it for me at the hospital, like she had told me to, if I so desired. Of course, after she asked me when I wanted, I never heard back, surprise. I emailed again a week later, didn't hear back. I figured I would just call the hospital and schedule it myself. Luckily, they called me to 'confirm' my appointment! Never a dull moment!!!

2 comments:

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Ugh - don't you hate that you have to keep getting the labwork redone before each surgery? What a hassle!

Regarding "incompetencies" - the system (or lack thereof) for getting my labwork done as instructed by the hospital may just be at the top of my incompetencies list - almost resulted in my surgery getting cancelled. Why do they make the simplest things so difficult?!

Susie said...

This is why in the past I have opted NOT to get my labwork done at the hospital but rather at an independent lab. Since this time, I am crunched for time, I am left with no choices. The hospital is ranked #1 in orthopaedics, which in turn makes them super anal about EVERYTHING, they already told me to bring a list of my medications that day. I am only having bloodwork...whatever.
My PT was going to observe my surgery but it turns out we can't swing it in the office bc I will be out too, so there is not enough coverage....but when I spoke with the office manager at my OS office about it, she said 'oh, your surgery is at HSS, there are about 14 forms to fill out. Had you been having it at NYP, it would be soooo much easier.'