Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The NOT Pre-op Appointment

Yep, you read it correctly. Here's the play by play.
I want to start off by saying this visit did go well, and I really like Dr. Kelly a lot, I hope I can portray it as such in the dialogue!
First, I saw him in the hall as he was going to see another patient while I was waiting, and he said "Hi Susie", so he def. knows who I am, but then again, I am huge pain in the ass!!!!
He came out after he saw that patient and asked me if I had had the injection, I said yesterday, he wanted to know how it had gone, I told him I really hurt and can't really flex my hip. He thought that might be a good thing because if the psoas was inflamed, it may be reacting to the injection. But he said we will talk more when I get a room.
I only waited 1 hour! He came in, checked the ROM, and strength of a SLR, I could not do it on the right. Then we talked. He said there are 4 possible reasons for a hipscope to fail: 1) residual impingement 2) psoas issues 3) retear of the labral repair 4) severe arthritis. I do not qualify for 3 and 4, so we are left with 1 and 2. He is pretty convinced it is psoas, I don't know how convinced I am. He did say it is definitely doable with a scope, I don't need an open procedure. I asked who does 'opens' here? He said he does with his partner, some other guys in NY, the guys in Switzerland and some in Boston. I told him I sent my stuff to Boston but he told me 'to stick with you'! I had no issue telling him I had gone for a second opinion.

He wants to wait 1 week and see what happens with the injection, he feels that if it is psoas, an injection may take care of it altogether (sound familiar). And, he added, I know you REALLY don't want me to release your psoas!
So I said, you want me to call you next week? Will you actually call me back? He laughed, and said they are trying to work on a better system. Maybe email would be better, but he doesn't always check his email, so I am going to email Ariana his PA, who will pass along the message. Keep your fingers crossed.
I asked if we could just take care of it and schedule surgery, I am sick of living like this, he said that after we see what happens with the injection, he can do it next week. Seriously, I said, what does your operating schedule look like? No, I am serious, I will do it whenever you want. No, come on, seriously, I didn't believe him. He said I have been on enough of a roller coaster ride, he will do it whenever I want!
So, now another week of unknown and then we will see. We did set a tentative date of November 12.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aack, Susie -- what does this mean? Bursectomy, psoas release, or --? What is he going to *do* (pending result of the injection, next week)????

KT

Susie said...

KT, and others, I remembered I left out a crucial piece of info from our visit. when we were arguing over waiting, and me practically begging him to 'put me out of my misery', he said (and I updated the blog) 'I know you REALLY don't want me to release your psoas. So, at least he remembered that conversation, and is willing to respect my wishes. So one more week, and then maybe I can stop jumping through all his hoops!!!