Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 1...for the 4th time

Post-op day 1 has been pretty uneventful. My pain is pretty mild, I took a Vicodin this morning when I woke up, and one just now (7 hours later) There is absolutely no nausea, the anesthesiologist was great, he said we would give me lots of drugs to help me and I went home with a Scopolamine patch to wear for 3 days. I rode my bike twice already, and am spending the majority of my time in bed with ice packs.

My hip feels incredibly tight, it is hard to move it, but it does flex easily and I can do heel slides. I am also trying to remember to do ankle pumps, just to keep things moving. I am keeping a pillow on the outside of my leg to prevent external rotation.

I showered this morning (shhh...don't tell) with water proof band aids, I just felt really gross and dirty, and "hospital smelly". I have 3 incision sites, I can't tell if they are in the same place as the old ones or not, my thigh is pretty swollen and ugly right now. I am experiencing pain down my thigh and into my ITB, I guess it is to be expected after this surgery. What I don't have this time is the horrible bruising I had last time, which lasted a month. I can't yet tell if I have any numb patches or not, when the swelling goes down I will be able to tell more.
Overall I am pleased with day 1, I have had worse day 1's before!

7 comments:

Jess said...

Awesome Susie! So glad you are feeling good! Tight is good, you can work with tight :-) I can't believe you are allowed on a bike so early! You go girl! Hope you continue to feel great :-)

Kim said...

Susie, so glad this is over and it was the right decision for you. I wondered about going in again! Best wishes for your recovery. So glad you continue to blog as we learn as much from you as support you get from us-plus your sense of humor is a killer.

Louisa B said...

Well done,hope you feel better day by day. I've only had one, next due Jan.... 4, you must have the patience of a saint!

Anonymous said...

Day 1...how soon I forget about day 1...let's see, on day 1 after first scope, I went shopping. What I mean is that on the way home from PT, I hobbled into Macy's with brace and on crutches and stood at the entrance while hubby bought concert tix somewhere in the mall. But, you know, who can just stand in the entrance of Macy's when a rack of clearance outfits hangs mere feet away? So I bought a shirt. And a woman who asked if I'd had my hip replaced said I looked great for one day post-op. What a liar she turned out to be.

Anyway, glad to hear day 1 was a success. I recall having an unusual bond with the ice machine...

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

That sounds like the best day 1 you've had yet. Keep up the great progress!

Sloan said...

Hey Susie. Did they tell you what they found in there and what was done? Just curious.

Susie said...

Thank you everyone. Sloan, it is posted on the opst prior to this one http://susie711.blogspot.com/2009/11/hip-arthroscopy-4over.html