Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Beauty of huge Needles in Small Spaces

Yes, I had my injection today (#3 for me, I think I can start doing them myself). I had a different radiologist today than the previous times, apparently, I was supposed to have him every time, but someone (hmm, who can that be) screwed it up.

What was different this time was the doctor brought my hip through some ROM pre-injection, documented my pain levels with certain motions (hyperflexion, flexion with IR, flexion with ER), then injected, and then ranged the hip again. I went from a 7/10, 10/10, 0/10 to a 0/10 for all motions. So I got up and was pain free.

There were 3 or 4 good hours, the injection was around 10:30, 11:00, by 3:30, the anesthetic wore off and the joint felt irritated. In the past, I have had a huge flare up the night of the injection, but the radiologist told me things may be different because the hip has been operated on. He also said, before he started, that it may be a little bit more difficult and uncomfortable to inject because of scar tissue, but once he was in the joint space, he told me he felt no resistance.
So far, my pain has returned, slightly increased than pre-injection levels, I am waiting for the flare up but it doesn't seem to be happening.

In terms of the right side, it has been better since P mob'd it on Monday, s I am writing this, it just tightened up nightmarishly, I am typing on my stomach, with my body pillow folded in half under my thigh near my knee to get some hip extension and stress the anerior capsule.

Tomorrow I see Dr. Kelly. When I was in today, I was given my entire chart, photocopied. Interestingly, my first X-ray of the right hip showed a synovial herniation pit in the head neck junction, and the MRI's (both of the right) showed mild cam impingement (on a side note, the left MRI showed no cam impingement but it was found on visual inspection with the arthroscope). Clearly, this is a huge issue and I somehow have to bring it up delicately, but firmly. Any ideas?????

2 comments:

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

You're saying there's still some impingement in the first hip, right? I think I read this in one of your earlier posts. (And isn't it interesting what you can learn from your records?)

My advice would be to say "after reading the radiologist's report, it appears there may still be some residual impingement...?" and take it from there. Just state it as fact and avoid implying that Dr. Kelly missed something in the surgery.

If he did miss something, it totally sucks esp. if you are faced with another surgery. But if there is still some impingement left, at least you have a clear answer as to why it's hurting. I guess that's better than the unknown...?

Also (trying to positive here), I guess it's better for him to have been conservative in the surgery and not taken off enough bone, as opposed to the alternative - taking off too much bone. That would be a nightmare.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope you get answers!

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

And whoah, that was a huge comment! Sorry about that! :)