Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Appointment

Ahhh, the dreaded/ anticipated appointment. I went with my friend Amy, also a two timing hipster, so I had someone to hang out with in the waiting room. I met a blog reader (Lakewood) who said "Susie, as in Susie711?" It was nice to see there are actually real people who are reading this that I can meet!! I didn't catch your name though, but I hope your appt went well, if you have any more questions feel free to email me suzq613 @ aol . com (take out spaces).
So, I waited about an hour. Dr. Kelly came in with Arianna, we discussed the injection, and what happened with the right hip and what is going on with it now. He quickly checked my ROM, nothing else really, and said he is not really sure of what is going on. I mentioned that I had gone over the radiology reports and noticed that there is cam impingement in that hip (thanks Rachel), he sighed and said "I know" in a concerned tone. Then he sat down. Let's see what happens with the injection, if it is an inflammatory reaction, then the cortisone from yesterday should take care of it, call us in 2 weeks and we can talk about it. He also said that when he was in the joint with the scope, he didn't think the labrum had torn from the cam, since the lesion didn't look 'peeled back', it looked to be consistent with the pincer impingement, that's why he left it. Then he looked at me and said "you don't look too convinced", I said no, I'm not, I have always had residual pinching, even from the very beginning, with the second surgery, I had great ROM from the very beginning, so looking back, something has been not right with the right. I have pain with flexion, IR and adduction, so no, I am not convinced that this is inflammatory. So he said, sometimes, he does need to go back in a second time to correct more impingement, this did not make me at all happy. Then he said, you know what, call early next week instead of in 2 weeks so we can figure this out and figure out what the next step is. So this is where I stand, no concrete answers yet, but the possibility of a third surgery looms.

2 comments:

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Susie, I'm so sorry. :( But at least Dr. Kelly is addressing the issues and acknowledges that something doesn't seem right. I also think it's good that he's able to "read" you and your concerns. I think there are a lot of drs out there who ignore patients' gut-feelings and that doesn't seem to be the case with Dr. Kelly.

Susie said...

Rachel,
You are right. I think this is just a case of "shit happens", and I was the 'unlucky one.' I am gald he is addressing it and has been from the first time I brought it up 4 weeks ago and has not blown me off or discarded my comments as hysteria. Although I will pursue a second opinion from an open doc, assuming he thinks this can be addresssed via scope, Dr Kelly will be doing it. I hope to get this chapter of my life over and done with ASAP in order to be able to move on, I feel like I am stuck!!!
thanks for your support!!
How are you doing?