Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Plan

He called. This is how it went down.
He said that the CT scan didn't show much of anything on the femur, the alpha angle was 30, anything under 50 is normal. Usually the CT scan will help determine if there is a bump on the femur, which is why I wanted you to have it, but it is inconclusive (I didn't mention that I was the one who actually wanted the scan, but so be it). The MRI did show the bump, but there are also post-op changes, so it is hard to tell what is there and what isn't. I think that based on your twisting/ popping, it is your psoas.
I said- originally, I had thought that we were going into surgery to address the cam, I asked him to look at the scope pics and see if he could see the bump, I don't think I got a straight answer, but I am not sure. He said he looks for the mechanism of injury and it was not consistent with cam impingement.
I started talking now, I also spoke at intervals when he spoke, but I didn't think I needed to give you a dialogue like last time! I had the popping but then went on crutches and after a few days had all the same pre-op pain.
He said- the psoas could have bled and scarred down to the capsule. He looked through my chart a little, so you had about half a day of relief from the injection?? Hmmmm........I think it may be the cam or the psoas, and as much as none of us wants to, I think we may need to go back in again and address it.
I said- What would you do? He said he would definitely take down the cam and do a bursectomy around the psoas. I said I REALLY don't want you releasing my psoas. He said it may be scarred down to the capsule.
I told him I need him to be sure that it either is or isn't the psoas, bc I REALLY don't want him releasing it. He said the only way to be sure is to have it injected, do I mind doing that? No, what's one more injection at this point.
So I then said, Ok, how would you like to proceed at this point...other than disowning me as a patient? He laughed, and said he likes the challenging ones. I didn't get a chance to ask him if he meant the challenging cases or the challenging patients!!!
So, the plan is to get the psoas injected and then see him within a week to determine if that is the issue.
So, it looks like he is definitely recommending a revision, but is not quite sure what needs to be done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good goin' Susie -- *this* sounds like a strategy!!
KT