Saturday, September 8, 2007

10 week Update

As promised, here is an update on my left side.
Surgery was almost 10 weeks ago (7/2/07). I am doing everything I was doing pre-op. I am able to run, I don't, but I am physically able to, as opposed to a few weeks back, my legs wouldn't run. I am not painfree. I have less pain than I did pre-op, and definitely less pain than on my right, but 10 weeks is too soon, in my book, to be 100% painfree. I actually don't know if I will ever be 100% painfree, but definitely better than now, and definitely better than pre-op.

In PT, things haven't changed much since the last time I posted. I probably am ready to 'kick it up a notch', but my right side is holding me back. Here is my full routine, given my time constraints, I don't always do everything, and since my injection, I have only worked out once, but I am back at it now! (each exercise separated with semi-colon)
Bike; standing on dyna-disc, one leg, isometric hip abduction with other leg; standing closed chain hip ER; squats on black side of bosu ball with theraband around knees; walking squats with theraband around knees; squats on inclined treadmill (really hurts right side); seated hip ER with ball in between knees and theraband around ankle; bridges; bridges with ball in between knees; hip abduction in supine with band around knees; hip fallouts (one sided only supine hip abduction); isometric adduction with ball in between knees; clamshells; straight leg raises in abduction.

I think that is everything, I did 7 SLR yesterday, yay!! I occasionally will bend down and feel some instability in the femoral head, it is weird and very painful, but it only last that second. I can fully squat down, sit on the floor, work, drive. Oh, I cannot kick in the pool, if I wanted to swim laps, regular kicking hurts. I rarely do stairs, but I think they are not a problem.
The joint capsule tightening I had 2 weeks ago has pretty much resolved itself, with the help of P doing some aggressive mobilization, while lying on my stomach, he mobilizes the femur anteriorly, first in neutral, and as the capsule loosened up over the course of the week, in more ER, now we are only doing it in extreme ER, since I am still tight there. Also, always a good hip flexor stretch before we call it a day.

My scope sites are flat, red and shiny. In comparison, the right side scope sites are almost invisible. I never ever let them see sun, and P did a great job working on them early on, ignoring my tears and requests for mercy!! In a few months I hope the right ones will look just as good!

I think I covered everything, let me know if you have any questions!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey -- this is great, it's :really: helpful to see exactly what-all an actual PT does as a post-op patient! Gives me something to shoot for.... ;-)
KT

Susie said...

Hey KT,
that was the original purpose of the blog, unfortunately it turned into a "what can go wrong with a hipscope" blog!! Maybe we can get it right the 3rd time around!!
At least everyone can see how to be assertive and a pain in the ass in order to get answers!!!!