Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Wait Is Over

Yes, we spoke! We decided that at this point there is really nothing else to do but a scope. Not what I really want (ever again...and no, I will NOT be re-reading old posts to see what I went through then), but given that this has been going on for 5 months, PT, cortisone, PRP, Synvisc and crying did nothing to help my pain, I am left with few options. Living like this is just not an option for me. He did ask me if I wanted to see someone else, I really don't think that I can get different answers anywhere else, nor do I want anyone else doing my surgery.

He wants me to have a CT before the surgery, to make sure that he is not missing anything. I have mixed feelings about a CT given the amount of radiation, and I have already had one on the right, plus an abdominal CT all within the past 2 1/2 years. I had a Crohn's flare back in July and my GI opted not to do a CT because I had had one 2 years prior (I didn't even mention the hip CT to him). But given what I have gone through with this, I want to make sure that ALL bases are covered and ANYTHING that is there will be seen.

As far as timing, he is going to try to fit me into the schedule the first week in December (this is when I can do it, anytime before is too soon to stop working, and too close to Thanksgiving would make it really hard for my mom to get a ticket to come help me). I won't know until about the middle of next week the exact date.

For some strange reason, I feel a little more calm right now than I did 24 hours ago, despite the fact that the S bomb has been dropped, and is now a reality. I am not sure how well I will deal with it from now until then but I will do the best I can...

5 comments:

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

What is the reason for the surgery, other than nothing else worked? Does BK know what is wrong or does he just want to go in there and look around?

I know you hate them, but could you do an MRI instead of the CT to avoid the radiation?

I'll e-mail you soon...I've been wanting to rip my own leg off, too...just saw OS #5 yesterday (useless) and he referred me to OS #6 (have an appointment on Monday).

This just sucks - all of it!

Sue said...

Hi Susie -

I originally posted here about 1.5 years ago - prior to my hip arthroscopy for a labral tear. Now, as I am in worsening continual excruciating pain (I think you know exactly what I'm talking about..:-(). So I was checking back to see how you were doing, as you are the only one I "know" who has had more than one arthroscopy. And what do I find here? Egads! You are now in recurrent pain and looking at another scope! And I've been referred to 1) another ortho, and 2) a neurologist for EMG studies. I think that I may be looking a hip resurfacing. I have no idea about a second labral tear repair. I'm not ready for this, but I am sick, sick, sick of the pain. I hope all goes well for you. I have no idea where to turn myself.....my first scope showed 10-20% detachment of the labrum, and it was just debrided, with synovectomy and FAI shaving. I don't know if that surgery was "good enough." I was told the articular cartilage was thinning and that this was the beginning of osteoarthritis. Could it have progressed that fast? Did getting bucked off a horse - twice - landing smack on my hip in the hard dirt damage it? I really don't know what to do. I was hoping to find you here, all recovered, pain free and active. I'm so sorry that you are not - Sue

Susie said...

Sue- what a coincidence that you chose tonight to read my blog!! I had a very successful surgery on my left 2 1/2 years ago. The right was done 2 years ago and was a success (through a pregnancy too) until 5 months ago. My pain is back, no one is 100% sure why, since we have exhausted conservative options, a 4th scope is the answer.
Rachel- I had an MRI already-showed nothing. The scope is "exploratory" but he better find something to fix...or else.....email me!

SHC said...

Susie,

You trying to catch up to me or something?! ;)

So glad you heard from him, and I certainly hope that this surgery brings a finality to your hip issues.

Will be rooting for you!!!

SHC
(waiting for kiddo's arthro/MRI and diagnostic injection...steriod and ropivacaine...to get approved and scheduled)

louisawb said...

Sue are you the sue that went to schilders? iof so please contact me. I'm at myfaihippain.blogspot.com
Louisa
PS Susie I think you have no option but to CT, Goodluck!