Monday, November 16, 2009

Psoas...once again coming back to haunt me

I have been sort of freaking out these last few days, as I mentioned previously, my pain has gotten way out of control. I assume it is coming from the psoas and today's events confirmed this for me.
My pain is now exacerbated with external rotation and extension. But, I also have pain with active flexion, so I can't cross my leg, lift it up, get in the car, get on the bed etc. I have a new co-worked who incidentally had surgery with BK a little over a year ago. She had a psoas release, so today I picked her brain on what her symptoms were pre-op. She summed it up in one sentence for me- "does your leg feel really heavy?" YES. Ok, so I am convinced that it is the psoas. I have found that if I avoid sitting, it doesn't tighten up quite as much. I also slept on my stomach last night to avoid flexing my hip at all. This helped a little. I also did some stretches into extension today with a rolling stool, all of these things are helping to make a little difference. As I type, I am back in indian style with minimal discomfort.

My co-worker was nice enough to call BKs office during our conversation and have her op report faxed over to us to see. It turns out she had no FAI, just a labral tear and a super tight psoas. I have been asked before how a surgeon can determine if the psoas needs to be released. I will quote parts of her op report:
"arthroscopic examination of the central compartment revealed demonstrated extensive synovitis anteriorly at the level of the psoas with an associated _____labrum anteriorly.
"a synovectomy was performed around the psoas irritation..."
"at the completion of the release, all pressure on the psoas was releived"

These are findings I expect on someone who needs a psoas release.

My symptoms of "psoas pain" just started and seem to be better tonight, it is clearly some compensatory mechanism, maybe for instability???????? Who knows, again, I am still anti a psoas release on me!

2 comments:

Louisa B said...

HI Suzie, Have you tried walking is water in a pool, I do it daily because it both strengthens the psoas (its hard walking in water!)and you can leave you leg further behind as you walk getting a stretch too...give it a try. Also try laying on your front, towel rolled up under your thigh and raise you foot each it and try bring it close to you buttocks, with the extra towel it really streches the psoas without traction, helps me on the slow recovery road! Good luck!

Louisa B said...

walking in water I mean! I must stop typing so fast to ease sitting time!!