Monday, December 24, 2007

6 Week Update

I can't believe it has been 6 weeks since my revision surgery. I see that there are a lot of new readers, so welcome, I hope you are enjoying this pathetic rendition of what my life has become!!! J/K!! I am actually really happy!

Just to recap- I had a revision hip arthroscopy on November 12, 2007 after my original scope on 3/5/07 failed secondary to residual FAI (femoroacetabular impingement). I originally had a labral tear and cam and pincer FAI, the initial surgery did not address the cam FAI (long story). In the long run, I am very happy my surgeon was not overly aggressive because you can always go back in and take down more bone, but you can never put it back!

So, 3 hip arthroscopies later, I can say that it was all worth it because I am in a much better place.

Just yesterday, we went to the NY Botanical Gardens holiday train show, it was our 3rd year going, I guess it is a tradition now! I have vivid memories of going last year. My hip hurt so much, and this was before I had been 'officially' diagnosed. I was so anxious at the time, as well as frustrated that the simple task of pushing my stroller hurt. Yesterday was a pleasure, for my hip anyway. We waited in line for over 40 minutes just to get in, and then the entire show was done in 'line form'. The kids loved it, and we had a blast. I never once thought about my hip!

I cannot remember if I have joint pain. Clearly, it is not an issue. What is still an issue is the 'invisible bruise' on my thigh.It still bothers me at work, when leaning with that leg against a treatment table. I have learned to fold a towel in between me and the table to help add more cushioning and protection there. The scope sites have been neglected this time so are tender to the touch, they are in the vicinity of the 'invisible bruise', so the entire area is tender to the touch, still.

My numbness is still there, and most recently has began to burn. It is not constant, and has only happened a few times, but is quite irritating. The alternative would be to try a heavy duty med called Lyrica, but the side effects are pretty intense, so I can only imagine what that would do to me, so no thank you! Hopefully it will not get worse than this.

My pain in the ass is better, but my piriformis is still in spasm, not as bad as last week though, phew. I had PT today and had P work on the scars and 'invisible bruise' and stretch my psoas, which is tight (but not so tight it needs to be released!!!)

I am supposed to go back to Spinnning today/ this week as per my own goal but I have a pretty bad sinus headache/ infection so it will have to wait a few days until it clears! Tomorrow is a new day though!!!!!

My left side is almost 6 months out, doing great, with just some pretty noisy popping/ snapping. The noisiness is painfree so I am not in the least bit concerned.

No comments: