Monday, December 17, 2007

I Still Never Learn

I spent some time tonight reading posts from August, which would put me at a similar point in recovery after my second scope. I should have just copied some of the posts and pasted them here instead of rewriting!!

It seems that my activity level is putting a damper on my pain level. I was pretty sore today, and being at work never helps this. I started to worry but see that the same thing happened in August. I guess what they is true, history does repeat itself!

My day started with pain, I hate waking up in pain, luckily I can't remember the last time this happened. Clearly yesterday's stupidity was not resolved with a good night's rest! I briefly spoke to P about the adductor and thigh pain. We agreed that nothing could be done about the thigh pain (more on it momentarily), but he agreed that the adductors needed strengthening. He decided I should do the Fitter into adduction. I didn't think I could do it, even with low resistance. He said I could and even demonstrated it to me. Ok, didn't look too bad, so I went to try it. First with the left leg. I could barely move the platform across. 'Oh', said P, 'you really are weak'. It was also really painful since all the wrong muscle tried to compensate, I felt like my patella was going to dislocate medially. Not good. So I tried a few on the right. Surprisingly, it was a little better, but still really difficult and hard on the patella. I need a few more weeks and will return to this!

We settled on standing hip adduction with a theraband and sidelying hip adduction with no weights. I was sore the rest of the day.

I was also super drained today, not sure if the pain got to me or what, but I fell asleep at 7:00 and took an amazing power nap while L slept next to me in my bed!

If history repeats itself, the next few weeks will be tough, as I return to life as it was pre-surgery with a newly shaped hip. My muscles will be sore and tight and the joint irritated and painful with my activity. But 5 1/2 months after the second scope, I am doing great and my only complaint is spasmy adductors. I can take some muscle soreness and aching joint!

Back to the pain on my thigh, which has beautifully worked itself onto the bony portion of my butt! Yep, so now it hurts to lie on my back too! Interestingly, the invisible bruise got worse when everything else hurt more, and as I gently leaned on a table or wall, it screamed out to remind me it was there. I will also have to further investigate the pain in the butt and get back to you. I will be going for acupuncture session #3 tomorrow, maybe being relaxed will help the muscles too!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can join the "you can't teach me new tricks" club. i am still doing stupid stuff. it is out of a desire to do the things that seem so simple and were such a part of your life.

i am sad you are having pain...i was hoping that i was just the only one!!!

i must have done something shoveling the drive...sun my first op'ed hip caught and yesterday it caught bad. still hurts today. wondering if i retore the labrum.

good luck..remember...3 steps forward 1-2 back...you are still going forward.

Jess said...

Hi Susie,
sorry to hear you're hurting. I agree with soccermom, we just want to do what should be 'normal'! I think we all do that at some stage and I'm no exception with getting back on my bike lol
Hope you feel better soon so you can enjoy the holiday season! :-)

Susie said...

I think I am 'ok' with having pain bc I am def. seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I am so close, this is just a small hurdle on the way!!!
Thanks for the support!