Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Pain in The A$$

Before you freak out...yes, my surgery was still definitely successful. I am now dealing with the aftermath of the trauma, traction and crutches.

The first few weeks were great, I did very little, spent the first week in bed, and really was good at taking it easy. I am so done taking it easy, so now I am paying for it. It is difficult for me, I will give you an inside look at my day.

6:30 Am my phone rings, I don't pick up but let it go to voicemail. My nanny is not coming in, her back hurts and she is at the ER. I had to cancel acupuncture. I also am not sure when she is coming in. So I have to clean up the apartment. I change L's sheets, straighten up the living room, get the kids dressed (I just throw my coat on over my pajamas!) and walk L to school.

I figure since I am home, I will clean out L's room. Pre-op, all the bending and standing would have killed me, I am ok! I also made a 'fancy' lunch for Jk and I, walked to CVS and did 2 loads of laundry. Then the fun began.

I have been having serious butt pain. I can barely sit on my right cheek, I think it is piriformis but the bone hurts. I will have to see how P can figure this out as I am not letting him touch my butt! My adductors have still been acting up as well. Jk and I went to pick up L at school. He loves her friends, I think he has a crush on one of them! So they were all running around and they usually run out the door and down the block and wait at the corner. I didn't realize but Jk was with them. I saw him running towards the street and made a mad dash to get him. I still can't really run, and whatever it is I did, HURT. I got him, and was so angry afterwards as I limped to the car. I felt like my adductors were on fire. Same with my piriformis.

After school we decided to go to an indoor playground with balls and slides... Note to self: 5 weeks post-op is not enough time to be climbing rope walls and jumping in ball pits.

Needless to say, I am wiped out and in pain. I am craving anti-inflammatories! If history does repeat itself, I will be complaining for about another 4 weeks! I will not take it easy, slow down, or do less. I just can't.

I just have to remember that this is all surgical. One eventually has to resume life and cannot expect to be painfree. There is a fine line between causing damage and living life, I think I am living life, the hip will survive, if only with some complaining!!!

Hopefully I will have a good explanation to the butt pain tomorrow!!

5 comments:

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Isn't it weird how the pain doesn't flare up until weeks after surgery? So frustrating!

I can't believe all that you do - life sure is busy with kids, no way could I do it!

I've started up on NSAIDs - I couldn't deal with the pain any longer. I've never been convinced that they work for me (which is strange since a lot of inflammation was noticed during my scope), but the pain is more tolerable now, so I guess that's something.

Anonymous said...

remember susie...i can do this, cause i think i am older than you!!!:).... you didn't have just one surgery. ummmmm, you had like 3!!! i doubt you ever really rehabed out of any of them and the weakness piles up.

i ran for a soccer ball my daughter kicked about 5 wks out. stupid, stupid. i knew why the surgeon said no running then.

keep the focus. you can do it.

by the way, i think i retore my first hip. just walking down the hall at work on monday.

Alessea said...

Does surgical pain ever go away? This is my most important question for when I see my surgeon next.

I think you need a Mummy lecture Susie..."should you be doing all that just now? your surgery wasnt that long ago and we dont want to have to go back to your surgeon and confess that instead of being sensible you have done way to much and set back your recovery" ok well I vaguely remember my Mum said way more than that but you get the picture...we worry about you so take it easy!

Alessea said...

...oh soccermom, I hope you didnt retear your labrum, good vibes going your way too.

Thats one thing I know I will never have to worry about-mine got removed so there is no labrum to retear in my hip.

Susie said...

Rachel, long time no talk!!! Hope those NSAIDs kick in quick!
To all my 'mothers': I am not purposely running and jumping, I have not even tried spinning again, so I am not purposely sabotaging Dr Kellys ever so beautiful work!! Life with kids is tough.
The other thing that is important to remember is that everything was debrided, not repaired, so there is nothing to damage. I will not damamge anything, which is why at times I am rather lax about the protocol, It may slow down my rehaba and lead to complaining...but nothing really more than that. Obviously NSAID's would help tremendously, but that is a whole other ballgame!!

Surgical pain should go away!! I think I had no 'surgical' pain on my right side going into my revision, just FAI pain! hahaha

Margaret- hope you didn't retear the labrum...that would suck