Thursday, December 27, 2007

Making Good Decisions....as Always

I went ice skating today. I went ice skating in lieu of going to the doctor for my throat/ ear/ sinuses and cough. The premise was that we would call a friend tonight to call in a Rx for me but...he is on vacation. So I am in bed, prior to 9PM, having just taken cough medicine, which totally wipes me out (at least it doesn't make me puke), and freaking out since my nanny is now officially on vacation.

I woke up this morning and became super mom/ housewife, once again. 2 loads of laundry, dishes, cooking and cleaning up. For those of you who know me, I can be a bit of a diva at times, so this no nanny business is freaking me out. To cover my ass(ets), I have one person babysitting only, and one person cleaning only. So tomorrow, I will actually have a 'staff' in my home so I can comfortably go to work and know things will (hopefully) get done and the kids will be ok. But just to make sure, I got the house ready today so that day #1 would not be too overwhelming, hence the laundry and cleaning. J said he has never seen me so domestic!

So after my cleaning streak, we went ice skating. I was pretty scared, I should not be ice skating at 6 weeks...I should probably not be ice skating even at 12 weeks! But I did. If I was my patient, I would absolutely have put a stop to the ice skating. My hip friend Amy is a professional ice skater, and was not allowed back on the ice after a scope for JUST a labral tear for 8 weeks, and she clearly knew how to skate...well! But L really wanted to go, and I really wanted to take her. Luckily, she was not too keen on ice skating, so we only made it one lap, it took about 20 minutes! I should have followed her off the ice and called it a day, but no, I decided to try a few laps. Interestingly, I could only do a single leg skate. My right leg just wouldn't work. I guess it was sending me a message.

When I came off of the ice, my ITB and TFL really hurt. But the joint is good, painfree and intact! We had a great time the rest of the day as my kids always seem to be up for an adventure.

We were at an indoor amusement/ attraction center, and they had some indoor kiddie rides. They were on the wild side, but my kids never say no to adventure. One ride took you straight up and dropped you down little by little in jolts, looked scary as hell. L tried it with a friend, L loved it but the friend freaked out. L wanted to go again, and Jk wanted to join her. Jk is 2....I said absolutely not. But he insisted and threw a tantrum, and the ride operator assured me it was safe for him and would stop it if he freaked out...so I let him go. The kid loved it. I had to turn away and not watch bc he was wiggling around in his seat and had his hands in the air....but he had a great time!
He also rode the kiddie version of 'teacups', each time it turned, he was flung into the side of his cup, he realized that if he didn't hold on to the handlebar, he would be flung harder and faster, so he let go. Again,I almost had a heart attack, but he was having the time of his life.

Now they are both sleeping very soundly, and I am ready to join them, as I figure out how to juggle my schedule tomorrow and see all my patients, see my kids and get to the doctor!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you not to skate!! You never listen to me!!

Amy

Anonymous said...

told you we have some similarities...i went ice skating with the kids yesterday too! not too bad today, the latest hip to be treated (correctly) did great at 12 wks. my other hip (did horrible and caught the whole time) and that is 10 months out. the weak adductors (or is it abductors???) were a problem.

Alessea said...

Susie...umm I'm no professional skater like Amy but I love skating and did have lessons for years...I have been WAY too scared to even think of getting back on the ice again yet. I am supposed to be teaching my little cousin but I have told him he has to wait till I am ready-am I chicken or something? Half of me is amazed at you and the other half just shakes my head in disbelief!

Your kiddies sound like so much great fun and if I hadn't got in to school I would be asking to come over and be their nanny for you!

Jess said...

Susie you're mad woman! *grin*
I know how frustrating it is to want to do stuff and not be able/allowed to, but ice skating is one thing I think I'd be avoiding at 6 weeks out from surgery! Not only because of the physical nature of it, but because of the HUGE risk of slipping and breaking something lol.
My cousin and Aunty want me to take them ice skating these holidays, but I'm too scared in case I end up with another injury, my boss would love that - not! I'll probably just watch. You on the other hand have had major hip surgery with bone chopped off, so you NEED to be careful!
Lecture over :-)
Hope you had a great Christmas or other holiday that you may celebrate :-) Have a safe and happy New Year!
xxx

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

ICE SKATING?!!!!

Also, your kids sound like little daredevils! Maybe they got that from you!

Susie said...

My kids are hysterical. We do not celebrate christmas, but it is impossible not to notice that everyone else does. They love watching Christmas specials on TV. Today, we were in synagogue, I was sitting with my 2 kids and I had 2 of L's friends. When it got kind of quiet, one of them (I'm sure it was one of mine) started saying Santa Santa ho ho ho. I almost died of embarassment! They know exactly how to push my buttons!!!

Skating wasn't too terrible, I honestly don't know how much better I would have been with 2 good hips!!!