Saturday, December 15, 2007

Pain in Weird Places

For those of you who know me well, you must be starting to realize that it is either all or nothing with me. What do I mean? I am either out, in heels, doing crazy things, or in bed, puking my guts out, and not moving. Some things never change. I am almost 5 weeks out, from a surgery I was initially told would take 3-4 months to heal from, and then 4 months later was told by my OS that he is finding patients doing still making progress at 12 months. So to put things into perspective, I am pretty far from the 12 month mark. Today I found myself out, pushing Jk in his stroller, on ice, in high heeled boots. Stupid? Absolutely. Especially when yesterday, I was leaving my building and the doorman gently reminded me that my parking lot was extremely icy and the last thing I needed was to fall! Thanks!

So after one day of gingerly walking through snowbanks and icy streets (wearing rubber, flat boots) and one day of walking in high heeled boots, I found myself with a teensy tiny limp (gasp). I don't do limps. Especially when I am so crazy and anal about gait, and how I hold on to my single crutch until every bit of evidence of a recent hip surgery and resulting Trendelenberg is gone, I found myself limping in my boots. It didn't help that I had to carry Jk and all of his 28 lbs plus a few toy trains.

I am not even sure where I hurt, it was too much to take in. It did resolve on its own when I got home and took off the boots, and put Jk down. J pushed the stroller home so that helped too.

I have been having pain in my adductors, on both sides, and they go into spasm sometimes. I think I have mentioned before, this is not something I mention to P or let him work on since it is right where my adductors insert into my pelvis. Too close for comfort, especially when we will be working together 15 minutes later. Yesterday, during my ice walk, the left side was in horrible spasm (left, yes 5 1/2 moth old surgery), and there was nothing I could do but keep 'walking' to my car. I am guessing that my adductors are really weak, resulting in this 'fun' spasm. Time to hit the gym and attack those muscles, I guess. I have been a lot more laid back about PT this time, I guess after 9 months, it sort of gets old, boring and lame (Don't tell anyone I said that).

My insurance, for some reason, is still paying for PT. I have had probably close to 90 sessions by now, my insurance covers 30 visits/ year. The people in the billing department know how to 'work the system' apparently! I am supposed to be doing 2x/week at this pint, I did one last week, and have 2 scheduled for this week. I know that after my first and second scopes, I was already doing 3x/week. I am too burnt out though!

My other weird pain is a bruiselike pain across the front of my thigh, starting medial/anterior to the greater trochanter, moving across the front of my thigh, about 1/3 of the way down. It does not hurt with activity, only to touch. It has not gotten better or worse since surgery.I am stumped. The only thing that may be related is that I had awful bruising for the first 3-4 weeks, plus all the bleeding early on.

Otherwise, things are great in post-op land!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought the anterior thigh pain (that you describe and i have as well) was from "splitting" that muscle for the osteoplasty part of the surgery. 9-10 wks post op i still have a fair amount of it..i too wish it would go away.

we had snow here...i didn't shovel yesterday but tried a little snowboarding. not the smartest move, but fun while it lasted. i have horrible balance. today we had more snow, so i shoveled my 400 ft long drive. i am done for the day and possibly the week.

i know how it is to just want to do something normal. i bet your limp will go away by tomorrow. mine goes usually as quickly as it goes. i do find any type of heel is bothersome.

Susie said...

Makes me happy I live in an apartment!!!!