Saturday, December 22, 2007

On a Nerdiness Scale of 1-10, I have reached an 11

Today, as both kids napped, I picked up a PT journal (this is not where the nerdiness ended). I began reading an article:
"Manual Therapy Intervention for a Patient With a Total Hip Arthroplasty Revision "
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2007;37(12):763-768.
doi:10.2519/jospt.2007.2437


It was about rehabbing a patient with a revision total hip replacement. As I reached the end, the authors quoted another article:
Marc J. Philippon, Mara L. Schenker, Karen K. Briggs, David A. Kuppersmith, R. Brian Maxwell, and Allston J. StubbsRevision Hip ArthroscopyAm. J. Sports Med., Nov 2007; 35: 1918 - 1921

The first article quoted the second article saying that the authors found that the primary reason for revision hip ARTHROPLASTY (i.e total hip replacement) is impingement. As I was reading, I said, out loud, WTF??? That is not what that article says, I know that article like the back of my hand and they don't speak anywhere about arthroplasty, only arthroscopy. Yes, we all know that the primary reason for a revision ARTHROSCOPY is impingement. The authors misquoted Philippon et. al. My husband thinks i have gone off the deep end...again, he can't believe I caught that, and that I plan on emailing the authors regarding their mistake!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Interesting!...though I can't find the part you are talking about?