Thursday, January 7, 2010

Working Girl....Or Not

I have been wrestling with the idea of when I should go back to work, and losing quite a bit of sleep over it. I had told my office that I would be back on 1/25, 7 weeks post op, 2 weeks from Monday. I am still REALLY weak and unstable at times, and I don't feel ready to go back yet. In the past I have gone back around 4 weeks post-op, this time that was sooooo not happening. I have weakness in my ankle that causes me to trip all over the place. I have been working on strengthening it to prevent this, also adding some stabilizing exercises to keep me upright and not falling flat on my face. My PT thinks I should take 3 months off, she doesn't see why I need to rush back to work, I think I am beginning to agree with her. I told my boss that I will be back at the end of Feb. I think this gives me plenty of time to heal and recover.

PT has been going well, today she did some soft tissue work on my gluts/abductors...I definitely saw stars. I am limping on and off, she is not too concerned about it and thinks it will go away with time. Her only concern is the lump under one of my incisions, the fluid from when it opened up, there is still fluid pooled under there and causing me pain.

At 5 1/2 weeks post-op, I am doing the following at PT: Bike, leg press @ 75 lbs (today added ball in between knees), single leg leg press @ 25 lbs, standing hip flexion (knee straight) and abduction, wall squats with ball in between knees, seated resisted knee flexion, ankle 4 way with theraband, quadruped hip extension, prone hip extension with knee bent with 2 lbs weight, sidelying hip abduction, sidelying endrange hip abduction with leg on stool, bridges, prone hip IR/ER with 2lbs weight, clam shells with theraband

I had to cut it short today bc I was sore and anything in rotation bothered me. I am feeling better now, but still pretty fatigued.

1 comment:

Sloan said...

Wow, It sounds that you are on your way. I wonder why internal and external rotation are so hard. Also some of he exercises you described are n my Pilate Dvd. I guess I just have to work through. I did the beginner DVD and did most of the exercises except for a couple.The operated hip was tight this morning and the so call right good hip did complain about a couple of hours later. Mostly my Psoas and the side of the hip was super sore as if I had hit it with something. I wonder why that happens? I layed on a ball for my hip flexors and it did tame down a little. I wonder if my herniated disc is the the cause.....normally I get it worked out by my myofascia guy but he has been sick for three weeks and boy do I miss him.