Monday, January 11, 2010

What I Struggle With

At 6 weeks post-op, I am doing really well. Looking at me, you would never know that I had a hipscope 6 weeks ago, much less my 4th hipscope. I take the kids to school, to after school classes, run my errands and go to PT. What you can't tell is that when I accidentally drop something on the floor, I pray that someone will be nice enough to pick it up for me. My 4 year old knows not to ask me to carry him, although my baby is growing frustrated with that, and at 30 lbs, it is quite a challenge.

I do what I can, or, as a mother of 3, what I have to. On Friday I decided to go back to some simple cooking. Friday night I was in agony but didn't want to take anything for pain and hoped it would calm down by the morning. Saturday morning, after getting the kids fed and dressed, I turned to my good ol' friend Mr. Vicodin! Sunday afternoon was no better and after lying helplessly on the couch for about an hour and a half, with no relief, I had J bring me another Vicodin. Amazingly, once it kicks in, it kicks in! I was then able to make the kids dinner and got through bed time.

Today was another supermarket day. Again, this proved to be tough for me and painful but I made it through the day with any drugs. I have learn to realize that there will b ups and downs, and I need A LOT more patience if I am going to get through this recovery without the use of heavy duty psych meds!!

2 comments:

SJ said...

Stay Strong..it's a hard road but f anyone can come through this craziness of four surgeries it will be YOU. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be having all this pain and being a mom..I can't taeven take care of myself well w/ this pain but you are doing it and I know it will get better for you..the first couple of months are the worse (which we tend to forget once we start getting better ;) ) I had a week off of vicodin which was great but tonight I had to take one..This journey we both are on will definitely have it's ups and Down's but hopefully somewhere in the near future there will be many more ups! I am thinking of you and hope the worse is behind you!

Sloan said...

I agree about picking up things from the floor and grocery shopping. I still hate doing both of them.Happy healing.