Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hip Injection #8...done

I was able to get in for an injection yesterday afternoon purely by the grace of G-d...and maybe a little begging on my part to "please take me out of my misery"!! Driving down I could barely sit, the posterior joint pain and lateral posterior pain (what I believe to be ischiofemoral impingement (IF) was really awful. Before I had left my house, I tried some pain provocation tests so that I could have a baseline and a before and after. I did a lunge with the left leg in front and on a stool, some impingement tests and some other movements of the leg. The injection was more painful than I remember it ever being, probably because I have scar tissue built up in there. Before the injection the radiologist tried to provoke pain, he did some FAI tests and they hurt in the groin, he could not reproduce the posterior pain but I explained that I had been able to earlier. He told me to check those maneuvers out again later. I said if I could drive home without pain I would be thrilled!! After the injection most of the tests he did provoked no pain anymore. I limped back to my car, sat down and panicked...the back of my hip still hurt. After a minute, I guess the drugs made their way back there and posterior pain was GONE! I drove home comfortably and happy. The IF pain was still there but without the posterior joint pain it seemed a lot more manageable. After 3 hours my "honeymoon" was over and the pain hit hard. When the kids were finally in bed I was able to ice for about an hour. I then decided to go to sleep but the pain was there so I went back for the ice and ended up falling asleep with it on until I woke up 3 hours later! This morning I think the posterior pain is better, the true test will be when I get into the car in an hour! Keeping my fingers crossed

5 comments:

Kate.Mich said...

Susie -

Could you explain a bit about IF? Where exactly is your pain when you say posterior pain? I've been googling it, but I can't seem to find much.

How did you do today? Hope the injection gave you the relief you're looking for.

xx -
Katie.

Sloan said...

Hi Suzie. Hope you are experiencing some relief. I was wondering, I hurt when I sit on the edge of my seat for too long. Isn't that similar to putting a water bottle underneath?

Susie said...

There is very little info abt IF, it is impingement of the soft tissue in between the lesser trochnater and ischium, it is extra articular impingement. I will post abt the injection soon.
Sloan- I dont think sitting at the edge of your seat is the same as the water bottle, the water bottle takes the pressure off of the ischial tuberosity

SJ said...

I really hope the injection keeps working and keeps you out of pain!!! Thinking of you and hoping that this will help!!

Sloan said...

Hi Suzie. Just googled ischeal tuberosity.In your work, have you come across SI joint problems because of inflamation to the ischeal? Also said that sitting and running can provoke more problems. I hope that you can find ways to manage it? When I get my myofascia release it helps that issue a lot. Only thing is that I feel exposed when my guy gets in there. Ouch.