Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Still No Answers

I got home from PT last night with more questions than answers. My PT thinks the hip is loose and and lax,this is about all I got. I am also really weak in the glutes, he is not sure if it is a straight out weakness or if they re inhibited by pain. The rest kind of went in one ear and out the other. I am so overwhelmed with all of this that I cant even process anymore. He thinks there may be a coverage issue somewhere (don't ask me where) but I could be getting pinching from some sort of impingement posteriorly. Honestly, this is all too much for me to handle. I was doing a lunge yesterday (just to demonstrate for a patient) with the good leg, the bad leg was behind me, in extension. This set off so much pain I think I saw stars and almost passed out in the middle of my office. My PT wanted me to try that with a posterior pelvic tilt and an anterior pelvic tilt to see if one was better, I was too scared to reproduce that pain again that I couldn't do it. He thinks I may need a stress test to check for laxity in the hip, I'm not sure what this would accomplish, or what it entails, I was too scared to ask.
In the meantime he gave me one exercise to do at home, a standing hip abduction with my hip in IR. He also told me to put a small water bottle under my thigh near my butt when sitting to make sitting less painful, it takes the pressure off of the ischial tuberosity.
And so the roller coaster ride begins, and the psychosis, paranoia etc. Because there will be days when I have no pain at all, and days that are excruciating, and it will drive me up a wall!!

2 comments:

Sloan said...

Hi Suzie. Looks like we are confused together. Return of left hip locking symptoms since returning from vacation. Pretty sure it is a combination of not getting a massage in two months mixed with me not doing anything for the hip in two weeks in terms of stretching, exercise and pilates. Just so burnt out.
I have been told by my ex massage therapist that it is nerve damage and that consistency is the key. Jeez its been over five years and I have been working on consistency for a long time.
And I know about that pain you described. When it occurs it just shuts you down. Brings back all the anxieties and paranoia.
So now I am back to the drawing board. Morning pilates before getting out of bed here I come. :(

Kate.Mich said...

Ugh Susie - When's your next appointment with Dr. K? I hope you have a pain free weekend. I can't imagine having to demonstrate exercises as a Physical Therapist when you're in PT yourself. My ex PTherapist used to have hip problems. I always felt guilty when she would demonstrate a stretch or an exercise. I was nervous she would hurt herself!