Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hip MRI #6...done

Yes, I had yet another MRI on my hip. Last week my x-ray was fine, over the weekend I was able to ice and rest and was feeling better. Monday the pain was back with a vengeance. I freaked out and emailed the PA from my OS office. He said to have an MRI and come in today.
Since this latest "episode" of hip pain started, I have been having a ton of anxiety and been having trouble eating bc I am so scared. I took (my first ever) Xanax on Monday night. this morning I woke up at 3:30 with my heart racing and my stomach in knots. By 5:30 I decided to eat something since my stomach probably hurt from lack of eating. By 6:30 my heart was still racing and I felt like I was going to throw up. Xanax #2 was a god send. It totally calmed me down and took the edge off. The MRI was almost relaxing!! It was the first time I was able to rest with no kids calling me, no blackberry, no work!!

Right after the MRI I went to see my OS. I explained what happened, and that I was having posterior joint pain. He looked at the MRI, the labrum and capsule were fine, thank goodness. There seems to be a little abnormality at the ligamentum teres, which could cause posterior joint pain. there is also irregularity at the quadratus femoris, which is what can get impinged with ischiofemoral impingement. I have not done all that much research on ischiofemoral impingement but I guess that will be on my to do list. It is an extra-articular impingement, he thinks its possible that bc I have some more motion now that that is getting pinched. But, I have pain in the joint with internal and external rotation, which leads him to believe it is being caused by the ligamentum teres.

The plan is to keep trying to ice and rest, go back to PT, in 2 weeks if its not better then we can discuss an injection. Where? I'm not really sure, but I'm hoping that PT can help decipher where the pain is coming from, and better yet, eliminate it to avoid an injection.
When I left his office, I was feeling better, less anxiety, but later in the day the pain got bad again and all of my anxiety came back....I don't know where I am going to find the strength to deal with this...again

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've had pain in my butt for 3 months now and the last month it has been pretty bad. too scared to go back. i always knew i was a pain in the a$$ but now it seems official. sorry you are having trouble too. my shoulder seems to be better though.
soccermom

Susie said...

OMG, what is wrong with your ass? I cant take this anymore!!!

Sloan said...

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. It most be overwhelming. Dealing with similar issues. Just trying to keep trekking with my stretches, posture and faith. Keep strong Suzi

Anonymous said...

oh i know...this is a nightmare. i did make an appt to see the NP...really just want an injection and an xray and thought she could order that. for awhile i thought it was my back but it really is my a$$. i guess posterior hip pain????

what do you do a shoulder replacement??????? :)

soccermom

Susie said...

thanks Sloan! Soccermom- I would need a distal clavicle resection, apparently its "not a big deal", but at this point any surgery is a big deal, and a shoulder surgery would really interfere with my work, when it rains it pours!