Friday, March 19, 2010

The Appointment

I'm not sure how to describe today's appointment. I went with J for moral support because I have been having a hard time dealing with my continued hip issues. Before coming in to see me, BK looked at my MRI and from what I could hear through the door, he was confused by what he saw. He had to call the radiologist to go over it with him.
When he came in to see me, he did some moving of my hip and it clicked, he said that was psoas. I have no pain in ER which again, he found strange. My "secret" PT joined us so we were all able to discuss the situation. BK thinks that based on my MRI, I am having a problem with my psoas. It is getting caught in the joint, this is why I have so much pain, the psoas is inflamed. The reason I have posterior pain is because of the way I am sitting to avoid pinching the psoas. He doesn't think the joint is shifting or subluxing...I don't know if I agree or if I even understand everything he said.
He wants me to get a dynamic ultrasound so he can see exactly what is happening. He would like to try to be there for it, as well as my PT. This should be interesting to schedule!
When we left, I was visibly upset. J wanted to know what was wrong, he thought it had gone very well! I don't know what I thought but I was very confused and didn't seem to understand everything. I still feel like I am missing something...I think we all are. I ended up emailing BK about it and explained that I am confused and asked if he could go over it again with me. I hope I hear back soon!

7 comments:

Louisa B said...

exactly is a dynamic ultrasound, could do with one in UK!?!
Your confusion may be because, like me, you are often left to try piece the pain together yourself and come up with something different and its a shock to hear something new and then picture it happening in your body - just my guess.

Louisa B said...

I mean WHAT exactly is..

Anonymous said...

Susie,

I had BOTH a dynamic ultrasound AND a dynamic MRA done...ask him if you can possibly have BOTH done for the most information (REASON: my dynamic ultrasound did not show my psoas, due to previous tenotomy and the ripping up going on inside, as opposed to the contralateral side which they could see with it...the dynamic MRA was able to show more information, as to what happens to the psoas when I moved my leg from flexion into extention).

During your dynamic ultrasound, they will also have you move your leg...to see if it is snapping over the femoral head. It isn't a very clear picture, with the way ultrasounds work, but that is why they may compare to your other side as well. You need to ensure that your technician KNOWS how to do this (very few do!). I had about 4 people in my room at the time, basically because they were teaching them how to perform this...even still, the dynamic MRA afterwards the same day showed more. Yes, dynamic ultrasound is EASIER than dynamic MRA, basically because you aren't in a tube and have more room to move your leg around, but this may be serioiusly something to consider and ask about in advance.

Let me know if you have any questions about these things. Been there, done that...but I am pleased BK is taking a NON-INVASIVE step to try to gain more information. (there are some articles on this stuff, too...not many, but some)

GOOD LUCK!
SHC

Unknown said...

Aahhh, the infamous psoas. I knew if you waited long enough Kelly would figure out that yours is bothering you. ;-P

Susie said...

Louisa, a dynamic US is when you are scanned while performing movements and they try to see what is going on inside your joint. I have to schedule it with one specific radiologist at the hospital so I assume that he knows his stuff.
SHC- if the US isn't good enough he wants a dynamic CT...yes, more radiation. I have had 3 CT scans in less than 3 years so that doesn't thrill me, but he did say that it is a low level of radiation...
Abigail- yes, as usual, when in doubt, blame it on the psoas!!

Anonymous said...

Call me silly, but if he thinks it's your PSOAS, what would a dynamic CT do for you???

Susie said...

He THINKS it is the psoas, I don't necessarily agree...(sound familiar!!), if the US doesnt show anything THEN he will get the CT to see if it is a bony thing