Saturday, October 17, 2009

Synvisc One Injection....Done!

It has been a very long week and I am finally getting tot he computer now! Yes, the injection is done, and I am REALLY sore!

I had it done yesterday around 3pm, same radiologist as always, so I wasn't too nervous bc he is so gentle, although no intra-articular injection is ever going to be 100% pain free, this was no exception.

Apparently, the makers of Synvisc One suggest using a fatter needle to inject the material, fatter needle translates into more pain! Also, the radiologist explained that he couldn't inject Lidocaine into the joint for me, like he normally does, because it will dilute the Synvisc. He did offer to flush the needle at the end with a tiny amount of Lidocaine, hey, a little Lidocaine is better than no Lidocaine, right!! He did numb my skin with Lidocaine first though, that helped a bit.

Unfortunately, I did feel every move of the needle as it pierced muscle and the joint capsule, and came to rest inside my hip joint. He first injected the Synvisc One, followed by Kenalog (like cortisone) and then my vitamin dose of Lidocaine!

I am supposed to be keeping a pain log but have been too busy to even think about it. Last night I was in a lot of pain, and even immediately following the injection I was in a lot of pain. The radiologist explained that the Lidocaine that he normally uses probably masked that pain for me all the other times. I am still not too happy but I guess only time will tell. I am hoping the Cortisone kicks in soon, or maybe it did but I am sore from the fat needle....who knows!!!

I know that I have not written the UHC letter as I promised, or been very proactive with that lately. I have been thinking about making some changes in my life, which I will get into when I can, and have been really busy with that, as well as my vacation last week. I will keep you posted on how the Synvisc One works!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I had sympathy pains with the needle. O how I hate those injections into the capsule. I hope the injections helps and it is awesome insurance covered the whole medicine.