Sunday, October 4, 2009

...The hip bone's connected to the...foot???

I guess the pain in my hip is starting to take its toll on the rest of my body. I started to develop pain in my right foot (right hip is the problem) over the past few weeks. It is right around the 2nd metatarsal. I am currently on vacation in Miami where luckily, a friend is a podiatrist, who just happened to be over for dinner Friday night.

I asked him to look at my foot since it was really bothering me. He started feeling around and said that the area I was having the pain in had developed a nasty callous. Since I am favoring my right hip, I must be twisting the foot in some way and putting unnecessary pressure there. He also thinks there must be inflammation inside, in that area. Additionally, I have developed a callous on the outside of the left foot too. So I must be shifting all of my weight to the left, sub consciously, to unload the right side. He recommended I get new orthotics which is probably a good idea anyway since mine are about 7 years old.

He came over tonight and shaved off the callous (I know, eww) and casted me for new orthotics! They should come in about a week and a half!

2 comments:

Sloan said...

Hi Suzy. Remember me from Hipscope community??? Was just catching up with your blog and couldn't help but comment on your foot issues. I also am experiencing that. My toe closest to the big toe.It has a collous and burns and itch big time. And I do also beleive it is coming from my left foot turning in. It has gotten better since I have become aware of why. My issues have decrease significantly since receiving myofascia release theraphy and working in the gym on my gait, tightness in hip and strenghtening the hip, knee and ankle. They all seemed to had atrophy since the hipscope. I still of scar tissue on the inside of the hip that is slowly but surely been worked on. Sloan

Susie said...

Sloan,
nice to hear from you! I have new orthotics now and they make a huge difference. I have been wearing them for about a week and the pain is gone.