Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hip Arthroscopy is SOOO Much Cooler When You Are Not The Patient!

So today I had my day in the OR. Of course things did not go as planned. On Friday, I was supposed to hear from the surgical coordinator regarding where to go, who to meet etc. He never got back to me. Luckily, I knew the patient and she let me know what time the surgery was at. I sent another email this morning to the coordinator.The surgery was scheduled for 2pm. He sent me an email at 2:38 letting me know it was at 2. Gee, thanks!

Basically all day I was a nervous wreck since I hadn't heard from him, and texted Amy all morning about it, but decided to just show up and figure it out when I got there. The paperwork was done anyway. I was also waiting for the PA to email this AM about the time, but she didn't either (added to my anxiety) but it turns out there were major scheduling snafus.

I made it to the surgery reception area where without much question, they took me back to get scrubs, in the meantime, the PA emailed me to let me know they were about 2 hours behind on scheduling (thank goodness for blackberry). So I got changed and hung out with my patient for a while.

At4:00 we were in the OR. I have to say I have observed 2 other surgeries and been a patient in 4 (3 hipscopes and 1 c-section), this was the first time that no one has yelled "Don't touch anything". I guess I looked more authoritative this time!!!

She had a spinal block with some sedation and we were ready to roll. I did have to step out of the OR at times bc they use fluroscopy and I didn't want to take a chance with the radiation and the baby (pregnancy + x-ray does not mix well). So I watched the portal placement through a window, as well as the tractioning, which I would have loved to watch (Hopefully this patient will do well, but she will probably need the other side done so it should be after I have the baby and I can come back.) When I came back in, he showed me the large labral tear, looked like it was from a cam lesion. there was also a bunch of synovitis.He did a synovectomy and then debrided the tear. There was no evidence of a pincer lesion there as well as on x-ray, MRI and CT. THE PSOAS WAS LEFT INTACT!!!! Whohoo!!! They then released the traction to look for the cam lesion. Again, I stepped out for some x-rays, they had to cut into the capsule to access the bump. He performed a cam decompression and then approximated the edges of the cut capsule and put in some sutures. This is a newer procedure (I don't think I had it done) but apparently it decreases the stress on the anterior structures and decreases tendonitis during recovery and rehab. I will let you know how she does.

I stood right behind Dr.Kelly the whole time and got to see the screen as he did. He explained what he was doing, showed me the anatomy and the damage, and the pre an post x-rays.

That was it. It was 2 hours from the time we entered the OR until she was resting comfortably in the PACU. It was incredibly awesome for me to watch, I feel like I learned a lot and have now been on all sides of this! She looked great in recovery, much better than I ever did. I think they used less sedation on her. She was already beginning to wiggle her toes before I left, she was on the CPM too. She received PT prior to the surgery because of the long wait time, which was nice, they fitted her with the brace and taught her to use the crutches before she was all drugged up!

I am just about in seventh heaven! I need a life!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, so we all should know by now why susie has this blog. for those who dont know it's bc of me, J. when susie was having hip "problems" back early in 2007 i was the only person who "listened" to her. when she got fed up with my kind of "listening" she started blogging. she assumed since i didnt listen, you would. thanks to all of you!

anyway, dinner just finished and all i heard about was how awesome observing was today, blah blah, blah blah blah. towards the end of dinner i asked her if she had a chance to blog yet. she said she did. why did she tell me all of this when i could have read it on the blog?!?!

i mean, c'mon. do i really need to hear this?

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Come on, what fun is surgery without "scheduling snafus"?!

This is fascinating - you're going to be a total hip scope expert. I think I would be grossed out watching surgery (but then again my profession doesn't deal with blood or bones etc, so it is not something I encounter daily!), but I'm still fascinated to read about the procedures. Also - how cool that you were actually in the OR and Dr. K was explaining everything to you! (I thought you'd be watching from one of those observation rooms above - or is that only on tv?). Dr. Kelly sounds like a great doctor.

Anonymous said...

J.
some of us like to hear susie's stories!!!!

hey susie..when you had your revision, did you retear? and if you did, was it debrided or anchored. i think i either retore or there is a flap that isn't "down" from the repair :(

soccermom