Friday, September 12, 2008

Things Can Never Be Simple, Can They?

I am now 22 weeks pregnant. The hips seem to be holding up just fine, yay!
I had a scheduled OB appointment 2 weeks ago, but it was cancelled at that last minute bc of some scheduling issues. There was no other time for me to come in until 2 weeks later, but I was concerned about the 20 week ultrasound. This is how the conversation with the receptionist went:
R: Sorry, we have to cancel your appointment, can you reschedule for...
S: No, I can't make it, but what should I do about the 20 week ultrasound, I am 20 weeks now
R: What 20 week ultrasound?
S:Umm, THE 20 week ultrasound!?!?
R: Oh, you mean, like, to find out the sex of the baby?
S: Umm, no, like, an anatomical scan at 20 weeks
R: Well, do you want to find out the sex?
S: No
R: Well then why do you need the ultrasound?
S: Um, to make sure my baby doesn't have 2 heads (ok, I wasn't that snotty, but come on, everyone knows about THE 20 week ultrasound. And this is a receptionist at an OB office)
S: Can you please put someone else on the phone

This person assured me I was not crazy and that there is indeed a 20 week ultrasound that EVERYONE gets.

So yesterday I had the 20 (22) week ultrasound. The baby (who has been named ice cream by L) apparently does not have 2 heads and looks good (I asked if the hips are checked during the ultrasound...I have become slightly paranoid about genetics and hips lately...I was told no, but they will check for dysplasia after birth). But the baby is breach. OMG. L was breech and it was a disaster that ended in a c-section. I do not want to re-visit the world of c-sections (or any other surgery for that matter). I was reassured that it is too early to worry, but I reminded my doctor that L was breech at 26 weeks and never flipped. I am on the verge of a breakdown. I have already begun breech turning exercises, contacted a chiropractor who does a technique to turn breech babies and am awaiting a co-worker to return from vacation to give me the name of an acupuncturist who specializes in this too. And you thought I was only anal and crazy about hips!!

1 comment:

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Yay, a pregnancy post! I was going to ask you for more details (who cares if this is supposed to be a hip blog, I want to hear about the BABY) - like when are you due, will you find out the gender, have you thought about names...etc. (I like the name "ice cream" by the way - HA!) Glad to hear he/she is healthy and I'm sure he/she will turn - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!