Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Holy $hit, I Am A Really Big Wimp

A few things I wanted to share with you but have been falling asleep each night before I get a chance to blog.

The first is that my patient, the one who had surgery last week, the one I observed, is doing awesome. I asked her for permission to write about her. She is 40, with many many medical issues, including chronic back pain, foot and ankle problems, fibromyalgia. Dr K wasn't even totally convinced she would do great with the surgery. I was really nervous for her as well, it is a tough recovery, plus, she had some minor dysplasia so everything was up in the air. She also takes narcotics on a regular basis for her back, so the pain relief made me nervous. She ended up being home 2 1/2 hours post-op, in her bed, on the cpm, resting comfortably. I told her to call me in the AM if she didn't feel up to coming to PT that day or if she had any issues/ problems. When I arrived at the office, she had already called. "Shit, she must be having a lot of pain" I figured. I called her back. She was feeling great, just couldn't remember how to go down steps with crutches!

She arrived in my office looking amazing, only 15 hours post-op, in NO PAIN. I figured the marcaine hadn't worn off yet. She kept saying that her back no longer hurt and she had no internal hip pain. Her biggest complaint was that the incisions hurt and the spinal bock site hurt. I kept waiting for the drugs to wear off, but kept my fingers crossed as I held my breath over the next few days.

I called her Friday, honestly expecting her to tell me that she was in a lot of pain...Nope. No pain. She was completely off of all narcotics (Including pre-op ones), still with no back pain either. I think she was also shocked that the back pain went away, this was totally unexpected, but a nice added bonus.

I saw her in the office yesterday again.She was feeling amazing, so happy that the pain was gone, and thrilled that it was such an "easy" fix! She wants to do PT 3x/week instead of one lose the CPM and resume life! I am so thrilled for her.

Looking back, I was (am) a 26 year old healthy, with no other issues, simple hip patient who ended up with so much post-op shit. It just goes to show you how we are all so different.

Another thing....Jeff, my brother, was here this weekend and had his appointment on Fri with Dr K. Yes, he has FAI, seen on x-ray.And the OS in Miami swore up and down to me that there was none. He went for a CT scan Fri as well, to make sure there is no more FAI than what was seen on x-ray, as well as an intra-articular injection. Weirdly enough, since his hip problem started, his foot has been bothering him,once he had the injection, the foot pain went away. He is not too clear on whether the injection helped or not, but once the CT results are in, decisions can be made!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you are a big wimp, but we still love ya!! At least you aren't a pro at surgery like me... 15 in all if you count all of the ankle, knee, shoulder, sinus...etc.. surgeries that I have had.

Anonymous said...

mike lowell from the boston red sox has a toen labral in his hip. No one in the media has even heard of it. Guess we're the lucky few.