Sunday, September 21, 2008

Thinking of How Things Were 1 Year Ago

Today we went apple picking. It was our second time, the first was about a year ago. That put me about 1 month pre-revision. Apple fields around here tend to be rocky and hilly, with uneven terrain, and spread over many many acres. Last year I had a really tough time "navigating" the apple orchards. I was in a lot of pain, for some reason, I have very vivid images of the groin pain I felt that day. I don't generally remember the pain all that well (thank goodness for small favors) but for some reason, apple picking brought back memories!

I am happy to report that this year, there was no groin pain. There were other issues, which I will get into momentarily, but that achey, deep hip pain was no longer there! Yay!

I have been having a lot of swelling in my legs lately, and a feeling of heaviness. I haven't really had it with other pregnancies so I will assume it is related to having 3 hip surgeries. There are days I wake up and I cannot imagine how I will go to work and stand because I am having so much aching up and down both legs. I don't even remember if I blogged about my DVT scare a few weeks back (I will have to look back and check), but my legs have been sore and swollen, even on days I am not on them that much.

It is possible that there was some damage done to the lymphatic system, and now that it is being stressed things are "backing up". It was not an issue before I got pregnant.

There are also days that my "invisible bruise" pain comes back, these are the days I know I should have stayed in bed!!! I usually notice on my way to the car. My ankles feel fat, my thighs feel heavy, and I have pain over a large area on the front of my thigh. And that is only 7:30AM!
I still haven't seen a single patient!

Despite this, I am back to cooking! Over the course of the summer, I had resorted t serving the kids mac n cheese and hot dogs quite often because we were spending every afternoon at the pool, and these dinners were quick, easy and portable. Now I have no excuse. It is back to the kitchen for me!

I am actually having a mild obsession with Panko breadcrumbs. I have a friend who manufactures the brand I use and I jokingly offered to be her "recipe blogger"....she is now expecting recipes! I will share with her as well as you...coming this week, Teriyaki Panko Oven Baked Onion Rings.

My other obsession these days is childbirth. Mostly, that I CANNOT have a c-section. This baby seems to enjoy being breech, but I WILL NOT have a 4th surgery right now (hear that kid). I have been doing breech turning exercises (anything that involved having your hips higher than your chest) which does work, but gives me a massive headache! I have an ultrasound on Thursday, and based on the position, I will decide if I will start the Webster technique for turning a breech.

Don't worry, once the baby is in in proper positing, I will be obsessing about how to deliver it without messing up my hips!!!

PS- I have about 15 lbs of apples in my kitchen...anyone have good (and easy) recipes???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cranberry crunch!!!! or maybe you could donate them to the gan for a special rosh hashannah apple dipping