Thursday, June 5, 2008

Why Didn't This Ever Occur To Me?

For those of you that can remember, before all the excitement of all of these surgeries, there were MRI's and CT scans and anxious days waiting for phone calls with the results. Many anxious days, filled with frustration and annoyance, knowing my results were sitting on my OS desk and me not knowing. So I patiently sat by the phone for days at a time, a slave to it, to ensure I didn't miss a call.

I had an appointment today at my ob-gyn's office. I was sitting in the waiting room and a woman walked in and walked to the reception desk. She announced her name and said she as there because she had already called twice and no one had called her back yet. She needed to schedule surgery. Clearly she was very anxious about it. The receptionist told her she that the reason she hadn't been called back was bc the surgery had to be scheduled with the hospital. She wanted to know when they would do it, they told her today or tomorrow. She was not happy with that, to which I can relate, but probably would not have actually come down to the office for this! They told her they would call her when they knew when, to which she replied that she needed options for dates in case she wasn't going to be around.

I know many of us have felt like this woman before but would we ever do that? Was she gutsy or a pain in the ass?? I know I have felt like doing that before, I have also felt like breaking into my OS office and stealing my films, until I got smart and just had the receptionist fax me the results before speaking to him. That was the most ingenious thing ever, less waiting, less anxiousness and me being the control freak I am!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Glad to be reading your blog..:)

My xrays and MRIs are usually done at a hospital that has digital imaging. I go to the facility a couple of days after any tests and pick up digital copies of my films along with the completed report and often know the results about the same time as the doc ordering it.

Saw an OS this morning (for the first time) my hip started locking on me this last April in extreme flexion or extension. then began to hurt if I stepped "the wrong way".. I, too. work a forty hour week on my feet. Online research and I decided it was probbably a labral tear. (doc agreed with me). But, will probably end up with Dr Michaelson at Providence hospital in Southfield as he doesn't do arthroscopies.

Have an MRI arthrogram scheduled in about ten days.

Am chicken..but going through with it.
Just sign me
Sister Control Freak..:)))