Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dear Jeff.....

Being that my life can't get any more pathetic these days, now it seems that my problems are contagious. My younger brother, Jeff, has a possible torn labrum. He called me one day in April to tell me his hip had begun bothering him during ice hockey, and he had a triathlon a few days later and didn't know what to do. Although I don't remember the mechanism of injury, it sounded like a possible acute hip flexor strain so I instructed him in a hip flexor stretch (the Susie favorite in half kneeling). He said it really helped and did it the entire week prior to the race. He did his Triathlon and I don't really remember hearing much else about the hip.

My parents are in NY visiting for a few days and mentioned that Jeff had to stop playing tennis and training for his next triathlon bc his hip has been bothering him, and he has an appointment with an OS in Miami. Obviously, an OS in Miami does not meet my "hip OS standards". Jeff things I am snobby and that this guy "does NFL and MLB players", and must be good. So, I thought maybe some of my readers could share some insight with my dear little brother and maybe share their experiences with "great OS's". I told him to make sure he a) gets an MRI (and to find out if they have the "special" MRI's that can detect tears without contrast, and if not, suck it up and have it with contrast) b) get a copy of ALL films to send off for a second opinion c)If he does indeed have a labral tear, does he have FAI d) DO NOT HAVE SURGERY IN MIAMI

He said he is going to see if the doctor can make the diagnosis without him saying anything, and if he does not mention the labrum, he will bring it up. I think this is not so easy when you are in the thick of it with a busy OS, especially if they are arrogant and busy, not that this one is, but, just in case. Do not wait to try PT then get the MRI, push for it now.

So, I admit I can be a bit snobby about hips and hip surgeons, but I think I have the experience and have heard from enough people to know at least a little bit about what I am talking about.

So please, comment, I will forward all responses to him, so he does not have to go through what so many of you have had to.

8 comments:

Jess said...

I think you're right Susie. You have to look out for yourself now, and not all OS's even know what a torn labrum or FAI is. Your little bro is lucky he has you to look out for him and go through all the nasty stuff before he does so he knows what he's in for lol. I wonder if FAI can run in families?? Not something I've read anything about but it seems plausible. I hope for his sake that he doesn't have the nasty 'F' word, but definitely get an MRI to see what is going on!

Anonymous said...

Jeff, Listen to your little sister and see a doctor that knows what the hell he is talking about. You should go to NYC, see Dr. Kelly, have surgery with him. spend two weeks with Susie and drive her up a wall post op!!

Bring a stash of sugar to get the kids all wound up... she loves that when I visit!! Ha Ha Ha!!

Enuf said?!! Sister knows best!! And this is a situation where you want to be snobby about your doctor. I travelled from Pittsburgh to have three surgeries with Dr. Kelly.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Jeff: DO NOT let someone scope your hip unless they are very experienced and understand why your hip tore!!! Take it from a nurse that works at one of the top medical school/campuses in the nation. I made a mistake and went to a surgeon that said..."Oh I can fix your tear" but that is all he did..remove part of my labrum. It wasn't 6 mos. later and this time it retore and detached and I had to have a revision of that hip. Just like your sister...3 hip surgeries in about a year for me. My other hip was treated properly and in 1 surgery it is EXCELLENT. I fear that the hip that was rescoped will never be right...mainly because I had someone monkey around with it that should not have. Hip scopes are not like knee scopes...surgeon's are not a dime a dozen when it comes to this procedure. Just my 2 cents. I wish you lots of luck!!!
soccermom

Katie said...

I wasted 8 weeks in PT before I got to an OS that said I had a labral tear. Also there are only 3 people in the country that qualify in my mind to do arthroscopic labral repairs: kelly, byrd, and phillipon. I liked kelly... got accepted by phillipon but vail was a lot futher away for me.

GET AN MRI with contrast!

Anonymous said...

dr kelly is not the best thing since sliced bread

Susie said...

Sigh.....For those of you who have been reading for a while, whenever you see an "obnoxious" comment like this, it is my husband, J, trying to be funny.
We don't think its funny J, cut it out!! :-)

Jess said...

I would have to disagree and say that to SOME out there, Dr K IS the best thing since sliced bread lol...and if you're going to be obnoxious you could at least be man enough to sign your name :-p

LA Possum said...

Question: What is your opinion about Stubbs in North Carolina?

I have been accepted for a revision with Phillipon and Kelly but damn if neither take BCBS and will not negotiate a rate.

Little help....this guy is a Phillipon hip guy.