Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Difference Between Men and Women

Today was Jeff's appointment with the local OS. Like many of you (most likely women), I had done a ton of research prior to my initial OS appointment, including journal articles, textbooks, google searches and speaking to other people in my situation. I had already self diagnosed (correctly I might add) and had a list of questions in my head. I had a plan and was not leaving the office without a script for an MRI. I was ready!

Jeff called me from the waiting room at the doctor's office and said "what should I ask him". exasperated, I asked if he had read my blog yet, he said yes, meaning the "Dear Jeff" post. So, I had to give him the 60 second labral tear/FAI lesson. It went something like this: Make sure they take an x-ray, ask him if he sees impingement. Ask him if he thinks it is a labral tear, make sure he figures out why you have a tear (I can't stress this enough) and get an MRI. Tell him exercise and PT has made you worse. Tell him you started with groin pain and now it is more diffuse throughout your leg and has radiated to your knee. Find out what he thinks is the problem.

So.....Jeff has to get an MRI, the doc has no idea what is wrong, he does not know if it is a labral tear, he said maybe a stress fracture or some inflammation and have him NSAID's to take for now. And he left in more pain than he went in with :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh i just hate when i leave the office...why do they make you hurt worse than when you walked in???? how do they do it with only a few moves of your leg. it must be a gift.
soccermom