Monday, May 12, 2008

6 Month Post-Revision Update

Wow, I can't believe it has been 6 months already. 6 months since I tossed the hip brace, 6 months since I retired my crutches, 6 months since I was praying to a higher power to either make me stop vomiting or take me out back and shoot me, 6 month since I have had an argument with a surgeon :-)

For those of you just joining my blog, here is how it all went down: In March of 2007, I had my right hip scoped for a labral tear and pincer FAI. In July, the left hip was scoped for a labral tear, cam and pincer FAI. At that point, the right hip went bad and I realized I needed surgery again. It took a lot of diagnostic tests, injections, pleading and begging, but finally, my surgeon agreed to do it, but.....there was a catch. He was convinced that my pain was from a tight, impinging psoas, I did not think so. In fact, I was so sure, I made him promise he wouldn't touch my psoas. I wouldn't even sign a consent for for it I was so sure. So, he hesitantly agreed to do the surgery with the psoas promise, and as a compromise, I agreed to let him do a psoas bursectomy, if needed. Lo and behold, I woke up with an intact psoas as well as sans bursectomy since the psoas was not the problem.

3 months of long, intense rehab, with a few blips and bumps and knee injuries along the way, as well as some intermittent PRN PT visits, here I am.

I can't believe that 6 months later, I still walk around and gleefully think to myself "whoohoo, I am no pain", with a little smile. I still feel like I am walking on clouds some days and as if this was a dream, and I will soon wake up with that dreaded groin pain. I still say to myself almost every day. "shit, I am one lucky chick to have a happy ending after so much bullshit", 3 surgeries in 8 months really takes a toll on you, physically and emotionally.

So, what is still going on? My psoas has its moments, and more than once I have had to return for a quickie PT session to have it worked on. It also has caused me to have some back pain in addition to the muscle aches. My adductors are weak and tight, and I swear I think I have had a "snapping adductor". My psoas does snap now, I am not sure if it did, or to what extent it did pre-op. My theory to why I have so much muscle pain now is well described in prior post. I have soooo much more ROM now than I ever did and my muscles are trying to compensate by tightening up. I need to continue to strengthen them, but I prefer Spinning to PT, so who knows how this will end!

All in all, muscle pain and soreness 6 months later is a good deal for me if it means I have no more joint pain! If you need a surgeon, I have only positive things to say about mine! And what can be better than a happy ending!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 6 mos anniversary!!!!
soccermom

Jess said...

Wow, that has gone fast! Makes you wonder what you'll be up to in another six months huh! Well done you!

Anonymous said...

prob another surgery...

Jess said...

Oi, cut that out Mr Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

don't ruin the party!!!! no more surgery...that is what we like to hear...only positive people!!! :)
soccermom

Susie said...

Hi Blondie, your symptoms sound extreme and like there may be something else going on. In my experience and many others, we got some relief from the initial surgery or no relief but to be in so much pain the way you describe is quite alarming. I would push for answers as this seems to be an abnormal reaction to the surgery

Anonymous said...

My story: Left hip locking, groin pain originally diagnosed as sacroilitis. Steroid injection, no help. PT for werks, no help. X-rays and MRA revealed torn labrum, loose bodies, not much arthritis. Had arthroscopy Nov 19, 2015. Surgeon report found loose bodies deep within capsule, several grade IV lesions, labral fraying,some grade 2 and 3 changes,said fixation not necessary,chondral lesions on femoral head ball,range of motion shows instability. My groin pain and hip locking have never gone away. Rehab has been terrible the last two times -was in tears today. PT says Surgeon needs to "investigate". I hope that doesn't mean another scope does it?? I don't want to go through this again. He said after my surgery that I need a total hip replacement in the near future. Does this sound like a failed arthroscopy? It sure FEELS like one. I'm 7 weeks out and scared. Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Aimee said...

All I can say is hang in there. I'm on my second and it has been a nitemare. 11 weeks out and the pain is excruciating. Do some research.

Aimee said...

Hi guys
So happy I found this blog. I'm on my second hip arthroscopic surgery. It's been 11 weeks and the groin pain is unbearable. My first surgery was a labral tear repair and debridement. This past one was an allograft reconstruction with capsular plication. I'm seeing my surgeon tom and I'm terrified. What the hell is going on? I've been saying to him for a month now that something isn't right. Why won't these doctors listen.

Gidget Royes said...

I had mine done on December 19, 2016
Dr. Said I had a really bad year and bone spurs. He said he had alot of bone work to to. He also repaired an impingement. Well 2 months later and need a THR. Using a different dr. this time. I have clicking and popping with severe pain now that I never had. I just feel that if he wouldn't have shaved down so much ov my femoral head, I would not be needing this. Goodluck. It truly is all about the Dr. who performs the surgery. I should have asked more questions. He was very rushed when I had my appointments. I should have known from that.