Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Never Stop Learning

If I ever feel that I have no more to learn, I will have to change professions. I learn something new almost every day, just by treating, being in my clinic and with my patients. I just returned from another continuing education course. It was not my favorite course, but it should prove to be very helpful in my treatments. In PT school, and in PT courses, there are no models. We do everything on each other.Luckily, this was a "tame" course which did not require the removal of clothing like some do!!

As usual, I am very "dysfunctional" when it comes to muscular and alignment issues. I am tight in all the wrong places, weak in all the other places, an overall mess. I started off the weekend with pretty bad back pain, my psoas had kicked i again and was unbelievably tight, pulling on my lumbar spine, topped with being in a different car than my own with poor back support (or poor ability of the driver, i.e. me, to figure out how to properly adjust the seat!!) My psoas got so bad that it became tender to the touch and full of trigger points. This usually pulls me into poor spinal alignment, making everything else go to hell.

So.......it turns out that my "partner"at the course used to work with P, she actually taught P how to release a psoas, irony of ironies. Today, she tried a release on me like no other. At the psoas insertion on the lesser trochanter. WHOA! Pain, but I sucked it up and let her do it, and then, less tender, and less clicking. I think this will be the only time I will have this done as it required her to put her hands in places I would rather not have P at!!! But just another trick to add to my "bag of tricks".

I am still on the fence with my knee. I am having less pain, and is always delayed onset pain. It still feels tight often, and the joint surface feels "weird", still "squishy" and "not right". One week to go before the appointment, still time to change my mind!!!!

3 comments:

Alessea said...

Susie I hear you on the dysfunctional issue...I am not allowed to be a model for the tutor (not that I mind) because everyone is supposed to be looking at 'normal' just now! When we break up into pairs my partner usually has some fun with my broken parts (as my physio calls them).

I have to say that I'm quite proud how I am able to waltz around the lab with just my bra and shorts on, they kinda throw it on you with first class being massage with complete strangers! I took a little bit of getting used to but removal of clothes is so easy now!

Dont you dare think of cancelling that appointment with Dr Kelly-get over it already, your going and thats final...if you dont, it will trigger a full on 'Susie bad bad knee situation' and you surely dont want that to happen do you? And anyway, if you were your patient I'm sure you would be saying to get it checked out by somebody who knows knees as your symptoms dont sound too healthy!

Susie said...

I know that feeling...the first day of class we were doing postural assessments, we had all just met, we were nervous, and the professor said "everyone, shirts pulled up, mid-drifts exposed", we freaked out. 2 years later we were throwing our clothes off and walking around "half naked"! I have been putting off taking a pelvic floor class bc I am really not that comfortable with sharing "that"!!

Ok, I'll go....who is paying for parking?????

Anonymous said...

gee...in nursing school we only give each other shots!!! you picked a really, really good partner for that!!! now with osha, we don't let students do that now. i didn't consider myself old, but maybe i am!!!
soccermom