Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sometimes You Have To Keep Trying

My poor physical therapist works so hard when I see him to try to find a way to make my pain decrease. I am 3 1/2 months post op and things recently took a turn for the worse. Today, after almost a month of pain, he was able to give me some relief.
His theory is that my femur sits too anterior and is causing a lot of problems for me there. Why it sits too anterior I'm not sure (I will get the answer from him tomorrow). So what he had me do today was increase the coverage of the femoral head by rotating my pelvis over the femoral head. It worked!!! My pain level decreased significantly (this was after many attempts at different exercises and different manual techniques). It has been 2 hours since I left him and I'm not 100% pain free like I was then but I am feeling a lot better. He is also having me do abdominal setting/ bracing exercises to try to help keep the femur in proper position.

I had my CT scan yesterday and wont be speaking to my OS until next week.
I had this "anterior femur" thing before, it was a problem after my last surgery as well. It makes me believe even more that my acetabulum may be a bit too shallow now since the femur keeps wanting to come out. I hope to god that I am wrong bc you can always take more bone off but you cant put it back on :-(

2 comments:

Diana said...

Perseverance pays off! I'm so happy finally something good. It may not be fixed yet but finally on the right track. Love the picture!

Ruth said...

Susie! That is so exciting. Perhaps all this time you have mild dysplasia? You don't know me, but I have read your blog... I have mild dysplasia (I'm 46) and have a torn laburm...just diagnosed about 4-5 months ago. Can you please tell me the exercises you're doing to rotate the pelvis more over the femoral head? Perhaps you can post some pictures of them? Thanks, Ruth