Sunday, December 4, 2011

Surgery#5........ Done!

My surgery went well. My OS found exactly what he expected, a torn ligamentum teres, small labrum and very stretched out capsule. He debrided the ligament, augmented my labrum with an allograft and re-tightened the capsule.
The surgery was long and with prolonged traction time. The total time in the OR was about 4 hours and total traction time was 2 hours. My OS never keeps ppl in traction longer thx 1 hour. He needed the extra time to place the allograft down perfectly. He didn't think it would cause major issues given the instability that I have, there wasn't very much resistance when i was in traction.
I had a lot of trouble in the PACU between pain control and being dizzy so I spent the night in the hospital.
The traction is causing my leg to feel tingly and heavy and hard to move/walk. This is my 5th scope and I have never really used the hip brace but I am finding it to be extremely helpful in supporting my leg. I am also getting my money's worth w the cpm, I stay in it all day, even if it's off. I find the position comfortable. My OS doesn't want me in that position all day bc he's nervous I'll develop a contracture. If the leg issues r not better by Monday he will put me on Lyrica.
I think I covered the basics.
From what I recall, the report from my OS was that the looked great despite everything that it has been through. He also wants me to be extremely careful and mentioned something crazy about being on crutches for 4 weeks. I see my PT on Wed for my first visit so we'll see what he thinks.

3 comments:

Louisa B said...

Susie I never put 2 and 2 together that you on my facebk friends I just followed the link and here you are! Ha how funny... ANyway glad the surgery is done, hope this time it works well for you.
And reading the leading up posts just how one thing that helped me hugely with pre op nerves was a hypnosis tape I listened to the the 2 wks prior to surgery, I listened to it twice the morning of surgery as I can really easily panic over surgery and when wheeled in and been prepped my mind went straight there, I could here the music and the words CALM and PEACE... it really worked for me apparently I woke up smiling??! Anyway hopefully you'll never need another surgery to need this tip xxx

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that everything went well. I'm happy the hear that you are finding the cpm and brace helpful.

I hope to have my 2nd surgery next year. I know I've mentioned this a couple of times on you board before, but I've been fighting Aetna to cover my FAI surgery since April 2011. I just lost my 4th appeal in November so know I'm moving onto the 3rd party independent review stage. If I lose this ... I guess I'm finally completely out of luck. This has been such an enraging process.

I'm sending you lots of speedy recovery thoughts. Hope your hip feels better - once and for all - very soon.

Hipper Snapper said...

Glad to hear your surgery went well. Sending healing recovery vibes your way!