Sunday, April 17, 2011

Video Presentation on the Ligamentum Teres

During my "research" today, I came across this: More than 120 physicians from around the world gathered in Vail, Colorado on March 17–19 for Smith & Nephew’s 5th annual Vail Hip Arthroscopy Symposium. The three-day educational event was led by Marc J. Philippon, MD, managing partner of the Steadman Philippon Research Institute. Link to Symposium info The focus of the symposium shifted to “New Procedure and Unique Cases” on Day Two. Richard Villar, FRCS, Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital, UK, opened the session with a presentation called “Ligamentum Teres: The Forgotten Ligament.” Mr. Villar described the three classifications of ligamentum teres injuries; Type 1 (complete tear), Type II (partial tear) and Degenerative (not torn but not functioning). Treatment options include removal (with RF or shaver) or reconstruction. Mr. Villar reached the following conclusions:  The ligamentum teres is likely to have a function; do not ignore it  Arthroscopic surgery (of whichever sort) appears to work  The ligamentum teres may have healing potential Video

1 comment:

Trainer4God said...

I am an ATC who suffered an anterior hip dislocation 30 months ago now. I have undergone 4 procedures, 2 scopes and 2 open procedures. My last 2 were with a new surgeon and he brought a few surgeons on board with him, the chief of surgery, a plastic surgeon and a physician from ALabama.
I have suffered a LT rupture, labral tears, chondral defect to my femoral head, IFL tear...which lead to synovitis and a lot of scar tissue. In my second procedure by the 2nd surgeon (I have have had 3 now) my ITB was released. This was the worst thing we could have done....my ITB appeared tight but in reality it was providing lateral reinforcement for my jt..my hip was so unstable that when I loaded my hip my ITB would snap. The 3rd surgery was attempt to close and restore some of the function of the ITB, as was as repair some recurrent labral tears, clean up the synovitis, fix some of the plication that was done to my capsule as one of the sutures was inadvertently put through my rectus femurs muscle which caused it to tear.
I could go on and on but I really wanted to say I strongly believe the LT is significantly important and until they figure out how to reconstruct it effectively many of us will continue to suffer.... I am considering going to England to have a consult with Dr. Villar.