Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Taking a Different Approach

Sorry if I left you hanging! I was on vacation for 10 days and as usual, incredibly busy with life at home. The good news is that while I was on vacation, I felt great, after a few days in sunny Florida where I did absolutely nothing, my pain started to disappear. Once I got home, it slowly started to come back, which leads me to the conclusion that I should retire now!
It is not as bad as it was before I left and I can tolerate sitting which is a huge plus. But I have decided that I need to do something, and everything that I have been doing is not working, and no one that I have worked with knows how to help me, and my brain has shut off regarding this. So I found myself a new PT. I definitely feel that I am cheating on my old PT, but since I wasn't getting better, I needed to move on.
I saw my new PT yesterday. It is a totally different experience than my old PT, who ran his office similarly to the way my office runs. Chaos, patients everywhere, running around from one patient to another. My new PT only sees one patient at a time, the office reminds me of a spa, I walked in to absolute silence. A completely different experience than I have ever seen at a PT clinic. I gave her my ridiculously long hip history, which took up most of the session!!! She found a lot of dysfunction in my back, it is stiff and I don't move well. Also instability and weakness in my hips. Surprising to me, she found a lot of tightens in my upper back and she thinks that those restrictions are what is causing my hip and SHOULDER problem. I am definitely getting a bang for my buck!!! As she started releasing restrictions in my upper back, I don't think I have ever experienced such pain before. But then she re-checked my hip flexion and I had gained ROM. She then checked my abdominals and found a lot of restriction in my external obliques. She also said my rib cage was tight. So she worked on releasing restrictions there, ouch. Ounce again, my hip flexion ROM increased. It was pretty incredible, something I had never thought of.
I am going to try to see her 1x/week, I have appointments set up for the next 6 weeks. It is pretty far away and she doesn't take insurance, but I think that if she can help me, it will be priceless.
My homework is the continue to work on releasing restrictions in my abdominals, and try to expand my ribcage. Also quadruped rocking to maintain my hip flexion, and learning to breathe properly with diaphragmatic breathing.
Keep your fingers crossed that this is the solution!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck!!!! Hope your new approach pays off!!!! Definitely worth a try.