Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shoulder Now.....Please Make It Stop

Very interestingly, a few weeks ago, it was brought up on the FAI yahoo group that many people on the list who have had an acetabular labral injury have also had a glenoid (shoulder) labral injury. While the anatomy of the 2 is very different, the hip is an inherently stable joint and the shoulder is an inherently unstable joint, I found it odd that so many people had both issues. I don't think there is a relationship and I doubt that so many people have any underlying soft tissue pathology, but who knows. Honestly, I think that it has to do with the fact that these types of injuries occur in young and active populations. I didn't think much of it until about 3 weeks ago when my shoulder began hurting...alot.

For the past several months, I have had pain at the top of my shoulder and my upper trap, I attributed it to stress and promised myself that I would schedule a massage. Of course I never found time for a massage so continued to suffer. It was especially bad at night, so I attributed it to my pillow and switched to another one. That didn't help. The pain then travelled into my shoulder joint, into my biceps and posterior scapular muscles. It hurt at rest, more at night, felt weak, at times it is difficult to hold a glass of water or coffee cup. I can do everything with it, and it usually doesn't hurt while I am doing it, but will hurt right after. It feels weak but I cannot pinpoint one spot where the pain is, it is an entire area. The last 2 nights I have slept with a Flector patch on it and it seems to be helping.

Just as the hip issues were beginning to clear up, this happens. I am at a loss with this and don't know what to do.....

8 comments:

SHC said...

Hope it isn't Susie, but I had a bag full 'o tricks and the shoulder was one of the many...downsloping acromion and rotator cuff tear. I believe genetics, alignment, and activity levels all contribute...it would be hard to isolate one factor alone without limiting social activities of a group from childhood on...and even then, the study would still have flaws!


Hang tough chickie...keeping you in my thoughts~

SHC

Sloan said...

Hi Suzie. Again we seem to be mirroring the same symptoms.Hurts the most at rest. I find that when I stretch my chest muscles and get into my seratus anterior it helps to relieve it. I also got a new pillow. I am wondering if it is from pilates. Mine flared up when taking my certification course over three days. We had to sit on the floor and we must have done about a hundred mat classes. Mine is on the same side as the hip scope. When talking about it to my Massage guy he said maybe it is just the body re balancing.
Just wondering is your opposite hip/back muscles tight? My Qls, and obliques seems to always be tight and angry. I do side slides on the wall to stretch them and then I do a few rollups and downs after. I wonder if this is going on with others?
Hang in there......S

Meeegs said...

Oh boy.

Interestingly enough, I've also recently developed shoulder issues. Or really the shoulder issues I've had my whole life and just assumed were just slightly strange were recently brought to my attention as being completely bizarre. Apparently being able to jump rope one's arms and having your arms just kind of fall off isn't normal at all.

I believe the exact words used were along the lines of "holy shit, what's going on with your shoulder?!" and "so, you know how you've had three hip surgeries? yeaa, well, probably something similar is going on with your shoulders..."

Both appear to be partially subluxed and my scapula do all sorts of crazy things. For the mean time, it's being attributed to extremely loose ligaments throughout my body and shallow joints (because we know my hips are shallow and my knees and elbows are creepily hyperextended). It was suggested that I get them looked at further by a surgeon but, as my mother put it, I'm not competing on the uneven bars or walking around on my hands, so I'm leaning towards returning to my state of blissful ignorance until they start hurting.


Interesting the timing of all this though.

Eric Berg Pain Magic said...

w0w this topic is so interesting i want to know more about it.

Anonymous said...

Susie,

Are you nuts? It is all in your head!!!! I am looking forward to your shoulder blog now.

Susie said...

wow, I guess once again I am not alone...will keep you posted!!

Sloan said...

Hi Suzie. Again I want to let you know that your shoulder symptoms are exactly like mine. Everything description.
Last week I began adding in upper body strengthening exercises and I will admit it has helped a little. I did lat pull downs behind the head, front medial and rear deltoids raises, biceps curls, triceps extension(dip machine)etc
I certainly have a lot of popping in the joint when I just begin and then it works its way out. I get a lot of relieve from hanging and laying horizontally on a big ball. I can feel the pull coming from where my lowest ribs. It feels like a knot,kink or something in the scapula. My massage guy will work on it again on Wednesday. He really gets in there. He says it is in my scapula lava tors.It even hurts right after but in the long end it feels so much better. Don't you think that this has to do with how we are walking. Even though I have read every book on gait and how to walk I still think we are protecting something. Just my two cents. Please let me know what works for you. Now dealing with ankle pain....aargh...

ttabeedviswanathan said...

Hello your content is sharing great information. Cortisone Injection providing best clinic in london,UK. Thanks for share this blog.
Regards
Cortisone Injection