Sunday, May 2, 2010

Problem Solved....Or So I Hope

I know I am probably jumping the gun, but I definitely feel better mentally about what has been going on. I think I finally have an understanding of what the problem has been, and why I have been having so many issues and problems, and now the final fix will lie with me.

All along, it seems that my capsule has been too tight (since the last surgery), so, as it was explained to me for the millionth time (but this time I 'get it'), imagine that the capsule is like saran wrap, tightly covering the whole hip joint. If it fits well, it will keep the joint in place and allows it to move well through its range of motion. In very rare, super special cases, like mine, it gets too tight, so when I tried to flex my hip, there was no give in the "saran wrap" and it was getting bunched up in the front of the joint. That's why my flexion was so limited, and when I was having the "episodes" and all the clunking, it was the capsule snapping, or getting "unstuck".

The solution was to do some very specific mobilization, we had to tweak them on Friday, but I left PT on Fri so happy! I have had almost no catching/ clunking/ feeling of subluxation since then. I still have pain, but I have increased hip flexion too, so I am happy, and I think I need to be in a good place mentally at this point bc I have been close to losing it more than once.

I have specific stretches to do, to keep the capsule stretched, and twice per week I am supposed to have someone help we with a mobilization using a mob belt. It is an ER mob while my hip is stabilized in extension, it is amazing and works wonders.

I am supposed to begin strengthening in 2 weeks, I can't get back to PT for 4, so I may have to begin on my own. When I overdo the stretching, I can't walk well, and actually have a trendelenberg, bc my hip is not used to functioning in the new range.

I hope things go uphill from here, this is getting very very old!!

I apologize for not being on top of blogging, I am not really on top of anything lately, I have been working crazy hours and most things have fallen to the wayside...my MIL was here for the weekend and re-organized my closets bc they have gotten so messy!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear things are working out for you Susie!!!!!

Louisa B said...

what r the stretches suzie?

Anonymous said...

Happy to read your good news of better function and the prospects of reduced pain. Barbara

Unknown said...

That would be such great news if all you need to do is see the right PT and do the right exercises!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Sloan said...

Awesome Susie. Isn't it great to have a handle some what? We all have some sort of issues with our hip after surgery and capitalization is number one bummer on the list. The explanation that you gave makes so much sense to me. Can you explain what a mob belt is, whenever you have time? Were your mobilizing exercises similar to Pilate movement? The reason I asked is because that was when I found out how tight my hip flexors were. In order for them to release I had to make sure I worked on strengthening them as well as stretching, but not too much stretching. My focus in Pilates was to return to mid line. Still have a lot of issues with squeezing my glutes and legs together when I am laying on my belly and in extension.. Good luck Suzie and waiting for more good news.

Daba said...

Sounds like you are making a comeback! I was getting worried since I had the exact same surgery around the same time and whenever I have any pain or tightness due to the capsule tightening, I panic! Can you tell us what stretches you've been doing? I just graduated PT and would like to stay strong