Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Yes, I Won My Appeal

Lately I have been receiving comments on older posts asking if I won my appeal. Yes, I did, my surgery was completely covered :-) Thanks to all who have helped me with the appeal as well as paved the way for me and others to have our surgery covered (especially MC)!

A few weeks ago, I had a 20 minute "hole" in my day and was actually able to leave my office for the first time in the middle of the day since I began my new hours. As I was walking out, I realized I had a voicemail from BKs billing office. I called them back to see what they wanted. His biller called to thank me for appealing my claim, she had received the letter a few weeks ago but had only been able to tell BK about it that day. He was very happy told her to call me to ask for a copy of the appeal I used so that it could be used for other patients with the same issue. I hope that it does and everyone who needs the surgery will be able to have it and move on with their life (some of us a little slower than others!!!)

6 comments:

akua ode campanella said...

hello there, I just found your blog and really appreciate it!!!! I find it so helpful. I had 2 hip osteotomies about 15 yrs ago due to hip displasia on both sides. Though that helped with pain for about 5 yrs, I am presently experiencing some of the symptoms that you described that you had experienced and am thinking about getting a hip arthroscopic procedure; but, and it is a big but; I do not have health coverage, I am currently unemployed...uugh and am considering going abroad...basically wondering how much (roughly) is the procedure (can't seem to get a direct answer from many places) and did you ever look abroad and if so any recommendations. Oh yeah, I am trying to avoid the contrast mri, I already had a regular mri and the contrast freaks me out a bit, Am I wrong in thinking that I can get the arthroscopy without the contrast mri? Thanks for all you have shared and anything that you suggest will be appreciated.

Louisa B said...

Hi there, I read your blog and have my own.. frankly these blogs got me thru the last year and I have set up a facebook page dedicated to putting up great hip blogs and would ask if you would share yours on this site by linking your to the site, it will create more traffic to your site and give one place where a newly diagnosed person can find all good hip blogs. It is on facebook and called 'FAI Hip impingment blogs' and covers PAO and THR as they often over lap.
Your help to others will be much appreciated..
Many thanks Louisa
myfaihippain.blogspot.com if you're wondering who I am!

Unknown said...

So how goes things? The exercises helping???

Fran Z said...

Hi My daughter is scheduled to have FAI surgery Sept 1 and Aetna has not joined the bandwagon. Any chance in hell you can give me some guidance or paperwork to help us out. Anything you can share would be helpful. I just found your blog and am going to read back thru the posts. ALSO do you know how your procedures were coded?

Susie said...

Fran- here is a link to the ICD-9 codes that were used http://susie711.blogspot.com/2009/04/icd-9-and-cpt-codes-used-for-hip.html
And here is my appeal
http://susie711.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-appeal-letter-to-uhc-to-cover-my-fai.html

Email me if you need anything else

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for the work you shared regarding you appeal to United Health. I used some of it in an appeal from a denial by United Health of my daughter's hip surgery. We found out last week that we won the appeal. I made an offer to my daughter's surgeon to share the letter in Word with any other patients who maybe gettting the same run around. Again thanks for you help.