Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Exercises

Once again I apologize for taking so long to post, my work schedule is horrendous, and I even had to go in on my day off this week, with the baby no less! I am tired, cranky and counting the days until this is over (Jun 14).

The exercises my PT gave me are not strengthening exercises, in fact, they are just stretching/ mobilizing exercises, and I am supposed to go back to him to get strengthening exercises. (My appointment is 3 weeks from now).

The exercises are meant to keep the anterior capsule stretched out and loose, I don't recommend you do them since most people don't have this problem of soft tissue impingement. The most simple one I do is sit in Indian style (yes, this is how I got into this mess to begin with!!) and put my hands behind me and hold the stretch (I try to hold for 60-90 seconds), if I don't feel enough of a stretch I do a posterior pelvic tilt.

I also do a mobilization with a mob belt, this requires another person. We wrap the belt around my thigh while they sit on a stool and the belt goes around them. Their job is merely to stabilize and provide a tiny bit of a lateral force. I keep my right (bad) leg behind me and stand in a position as if I was going to lunge. I put my arms out in front and rotate my body to the left, so my right leg is getting and external rotation force. This is a very specific an targeted mobilization for the anterior capsule. I am to do this 2x/week.

I can also do a half kneeling stretch but I have chosen not to, since I am getting great results for these 2.

My hip flexion has been as good as 115' degrees, pain free, it does tighten up if I slack off. I felt so great this week I did my first Pilates reformer class and (shhhhh) went Spinning on Fri. I have since tightened up a bit but I really needed that, I think I need to return to exercising as part of this final step in rehab/recovery. I have 2 more Pilates sessions planned for this week and really hope I can spin at least 3x/week for now.

I promise to keep you updated...but please be patient...I have never been so busy and overwhelmed in my life!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's Great!!!

Remember to take it Susie!!!!!

Happy Mother's Day!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

take it *easy* Susie

Sloan said...

Wow, the description of what you r doing seems pretty intense. I heard the magic word Pilate. It so happens that I believe in it so much I am getting certified this weekend through power Pilate. I love the reformer and just start with the chair. Nothing like Pilates to put the imbalances right in your face.
The mob belt exercise seems similar to one I do. Except the mob belt is exchanged for tubing. Seems you are on your way Suzie.