Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My PT Dilema

I told a little white lie today at PT! I told my PT that I went with my friend to her PT and he gave me some exercises to try and some manual techniques to try.

At this point, I am 9 weeks out, the back pain is a lot better just since I have been doing the exercises I got yesterday at "secret PT" and since the "secret PT" worked on my hip.

My complete exercise routine is as follows: Upright Bike, Leg press, single leg press, squats on 2 dynadiscs, sidestepping squats with a theraband, standing hip 4 way with theraband (both legs), squats on a foam roller, seated isometric hip abduction and extension, seated knee flexion with theraband, seated knee extension with 2# weight, seated hip IR with ball and theraband, sidelying hip abduction and end range hip abduction, clam shells, bridges, quadruped hip extension.

My 3 new exercises are: 1)supine, operated leg straight, other leg bent with foot flat, theraband around both knees, operated leg doesn't move, other leg abducts/ER (fall outs) 2) double leg bridge, hold, pick up non-op leg, hold 2-3 seconds, bring it down, raise it again for 2-3 seconds, bring it down, repeat 10 times, then slowly lower bridge maintaining pelvis level. 3) standing on op leg only, bend forward by hinging at hips until torso parallel with ground, keep standing leg straight, arms out to side, slowly bring one arm down to your center and return to start position, repeat 10 times, alternating sides.

My PT is only stretching me and not doing a lot of manual work anymore, there are days when I really need it. the "secret PT" did such a great job on me yesterday, I am considering going back to him. Once I go back to work things will be complicated, but I would rather be complicated for a bit than not well healed. If only P, my original PT were still at my practice I wouldn't have these issues!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not understand why you feel the need to publicly rip your current PT and employer. These feelings should be kept confidential. Act a little more professional and I will respect your blog.

Susie said...

Anonymous, I am not looking for you or anyone to "respect" my blog- frankly, I don't really care what you or anyone else may think, this is a documentation on MY experiences. One of the reasons many people continue to have trouble post-op is bc they are receiving crappy PT. I have not said anything negative about my PT or employer here, rather I imply that my PT does not have any experience with this procedure, as most do not. Luckily, I realized when I needed to get help elsewhere and hope others will be able to as well.

Anonymous said...

dear anonymous,i have been following this blog for several years and have always thought of the blogger as a wonderful and well informed person.
I appreciate the fact that she goes elsewhere for PT. She realizes as one herself that sometimes one needs to look for diferent ways to improve one self.
-RM