Wednesday, February 24, 2010

FML

That pretty much describes the way I am feeling right now. I am having a lot of discomfort in my joint, and have felt my hip "shift" or "sublux" or "de-stabilize" or something multiple times. I am not a happy camper to say the least. I had PT today and my therapist is very concerned about this. He thinks that my femoral head is sitting anterior, which is why I don't have full hip flexion, and why I am so unstable. It is anterior because I have nothing restraining it, I ruptured the ligamentum teres on that 'fateful' June night, and he is pretty sure that my capsular shift was ineffective. He thinks that most likely my capsular tissue was no longer of good quality and just couldn't hold the repair.

That leaves me beyond upset, angry, sad, disappointed.....3 fucking surgeries later and I still have pain. He told me not to give up yet....he is not giving up yet. At this time I am really inflamed so I can't do much of anything. He was also palpating around my ASIS/AIIS and found swelling...he is not sure why but thinks that something there is also very inflamed and irritated. Fabulous.

I am to do one exercise for now. Lying on my back with my knees bent, push my hands into my knees and hold for about 10 seconds. This is to activate my abs...which have most definitely shut down. I iced with the gameready afterwards...it felt great. He wants me to rent one for now but I know I won't use it! It is bags of frozen vegetables for me!!!

He also thinks it may be helpful to get an active fluoroscopy of me bending forward to see exactly what is happening in the joint, and to get an idea of how 'fixable' I am!

11 comments:

Kate.Mich said...

I know how much you value Dr. K, and I know he performed a successful scope for you before, but have you thought about sending all of your medical reports and everything to someone for a 2nd opinion? I know he is one of the best, but obviously something is just not working Susie. I know you have sent your info to Dr. M in Boston before. Perhaps you should take your PT's recommendation of the fluoroscopy and then send your information elsewhere. What is Dr. K's opinion on what is now happening in your hip?

Maria said...

Susie,

That exercise was recommended by my PT for me to self-correct my lopsidedness of my ASIS. He then has me put my two fists between my knees and squeeze to set the "adjustment".

Susie said...

I haven't spoken to him abt it, my PT was going to. At this point I just don't have the energy to begin to deal with this all over again. My PT has never seen this happen before, and he used to be Dr P's PT before he moved out west, so he has seen his fair share. He thinks that it is a problem with me, that my tissue is just not capable of withstanding the repair....I havent made any decisions yet but will not rule anythng out either.

Sloan said...

Sorry Susie. I wish I can find the right words to help you through this hump. The only thing I can say without sounding like a know it all or even too sympathetic is to just concentrate on one day at a time. I know with being a mom and having to work and deal with this must be overwhelming. Again praying for some answers.

SHC said...

Susie...

I don't know if this helps or not, but thing CAN improve. Stay hopeful. I know the PAIN it can be though...physically, emotionally, etc. especially when we're supposed to have been "fixed" time after time.

It took 7 on mine to finally get back on track...but I am DOING GREAT. THERE IS HOPE!

If there weren't, we wouldn't be allowing our 12 year old to have hip surgery next month. Sometimes, a fresh set of eyes is all it takes.

Best wishes,
SHC

Anonymous said...

Just curious - do you feel better or worse compared to before your last surgery?

Susie said...

Thank you everyone for your kind, supportive words. I know things can still get better and I am definitely not throwing in the towel right now....just stepping back and trying to breathe! I feel like I am in very good hands with my new PT, and as challenging as I am (or rather, as challenging as my problem is), he wants to help and is trying very hard to come up with something. I just emailed him about the brace he wants me to get, so that is next on the agenda. To answer the question of whether I feel better now than before the surgery, its hard to say, I am having a tough week with returning to work, and the pain can get bad at times, but it got bad before too. The one thing I didnt have then which I have now is the shifting of the joint which is horrendous. If I could make that go away I would be thrilled!

Kate.Mich said...

Susie,

I am having this hip shifting feeling for the past two days. The first time I felt it, all I could think of was you. Every time I move my leg, it literally feels like the femur is moving and crashing into the socket, causing horrible pain. Is that what you mean when you say "hip shift?" I'm only 23 days out, but I was making great progress until this "pop" happened (again, made me think of you) and now this is how I feel. i can't lay down, sit, move without pain. I feel MUCH MUCH worse than I did before my surgery and I am absolutely devastated. Can you let me know if that's what it feels like for you when you say "hip shift?" Thank you so much.

Susie said...

Kate- yes, pretty much. It doesnt happen every time I move but often. It clunks around and when I walk sometimes. Sitting can be awful, but not always. The worst is when it subluxes, or tries to sublux, usually when I bend down to get something from the floor with all of the weight on that leg, it will really shift and that REALLY hurts. Sorry to hear you are having trouble!

Kate.Mich said...

Thanks for responding so quickly Susie. In your opinion, for your sake and mine, is this something that can be resolved in PT over time, or is this something else that requires more surgery??

Susie said...

Kate- I wish I had ans answer. I already had my capsule tightened so I don't know what else is left for me. The way a scope is done nowadays is that at the end of the surgery, the surgeon closes up the capsule, a few years ago this wasn't done (like my first 3). I would get your op report and see if there is mention of this. You can email me if you have any questions abt the op report.